Tag: guess the hotelView All Tags
It was promised to Dubai residents almost five years ago that Four Seasons was going to enter the Dubai market with a spectacular golf resort at Festival City.
Unfortunately, due to a plethora of reasons, it was not to be and the luxury hotel operator’s entry into the market was called off, if only for the time being. It has been a long wait but the Four Seasons’ second attempt to enter the glitzy Dubai hospitality scene is finally over.
One look at Four Seasons Dubai at Jumeirah Beach and it is not hard to understand why it took the company this long to enter. They waited for the right partner, identified the right location and orchestrated the right product mix. Everything from the warm welcome, the color palettes and the well-designed amenities and facilities, (including the spherical vodka bar we told you about last week), the Four Seasons was not going to get their second chance wrong by a long shot.
Here are a bunch of photos of the Four Seasons Dubai to keep you occupied all weekend long. So many photos. So, so, so many photos. You're welcome.
[Photos: Aditya Rajaram/HotelChatter]
Happy New Year! Is one of your new year's resolutions to test your hotel knowledge?
Probably not, no one is that nerdy If so, you've come to the right place as we've got an excellent edition of Guess the Hotel lined up for you.
The game remains the same---we give out some hints, you drop your guesses in comments below. People who guess correctly will receive invisible scratch n' sniff stickers in the mail from us, sent by hologram service. Now get guessing!
It says it all in the title: time to try and Guess The Hotel where this angelic face is gazing down on you from the bathroom wall.
We’ll give you a few hints, with the additional comment that not only does the angel appear in the bathroom, so it does right above the bed:
- New as it is, having only been open for a few months, the hotel finds itself in a very historic setting
- Classic as the surroundings may be, it belongs to an international, contemporary brand
- We’ve had some love for the interior design inside similar rooms in other countries - Murals vary by room category, but all have the same local references, including the cute automotive kind in one of the rooms
Meagre as the hints are, is it enough for you to guess it right? Let us know in the comments!
[Photo: JasonD for HotelChatter]
In case you missed it, the queen of everything, Beyonce, dropped a new music video for her song, 7/11, over the weekend. And it is, as usual, flawless. But also, a bit goofy. Can we borrow your foot phone, B?
The video features Beyonce and her back-up dancers extremely turnt up in their hotel suite, in the hotel hallways, the hotel bathroom and out on the hotel balcony. Have you ever danced like no one was watching in your hotel room? You have, you know you have. Well, imagine if you are Beyonce and you're blessed with fierce dance skills, gorgeous hair, a tight bod and tons of money. Then you will probably look like this.
Us being hotel nerds clearly identified with this video but also, we wondered where was this video filmed?
It looks to us like Hollywood when Beyonce was outside on the balcony but we were mystified by the interiors. That shot looks like a Westin but the hallways and lobby shots look very different too. It's very possible that she filmed the video in different locations, and not all of them are actually hotels. So we'll have to werk to piece it together.
It's time for another rousing rendition of Guess The Hotel! Here's how it works--we give you some hotel hints, you drop your guesses in comments below and we'll tell you if you're right or wrong tomorrow. And away we go!
This hotel might be a favorite amongst old men named Larry like Larry King and Larry David as well as The Fonz, aka Henry Winkler (the latter two we actually spied in the lobby of the hotel), and many, many, many others. However, we were struck by the hotel's relatively feminine guest rooms. They just looked so darn pretty. Which makes sense since we know how much those old, powerful men like pretty things.
Here are some more hints about this oh-so-lovely hotel:
· The new feminine look was recently unveiled earlier this year. Some specialty suites should be rolled out in the next few weeks.
· The hotel's restaurant and bar remains the place to see and be seen in this particularly hoity part of NYC.
· The rooms all feature a large full-length mirror on the wall so you can see exactly what your outfit looks like. Very important for both women and men.
· The lobby has free WiFi and plenty of luxurious places to lounge so you can charge your phone, check your email and text your mom that you just saw The Fonz.
Yeah, this one shouldn't be that hard but we still want to see your guesses! So drop them in comments below!
It’s time for Guess the Hotel revealed! Yesterday we introduced you to the creepy lobby display of the West Coast hipster hotel that had been inexplicably abandoned for 43 years before being opened up by the current owners in 2007.
This is the Commodore Hotel in Astoria, Oregon.
The Commodore was built in 1924 as a 24-room hotel for travelers on the Portland train and the ferry to Washington. Then in 1964 it mysteriously closed from one day to the next. As in, closed the doors but left furniture, belongings, everything inside, right down to magazines and cigarette stubs by the beds. Nobody knows why, though they think it might be to do with the arrival of the Astoria-Megler Bridge.
In 2007, the current owners bought it, opened it up, and commenced renovation, while saving much of what was found in the rooms for the spooky lobby display. It opened as the Commodore in 2009.
These days, there are 18 rooms: suites and cabins. Cabins are small rooms with a washbasin inside and shared bathroom facilities down the end of the corridor. Not scary shared bathroom facilities though – there are separate toilets for men and women (huzzah!), each toilet and each shower is in its own closed room rather than public cubicles, and when we toured the hotel they were spotlessly clean. There are two showers and two toilets per floor, shared by six cabins. Could be better (could be ensuite), but not an alarming ratio.
This isn’t what it looks like.
It looks like any other West Coast hipster hotel, trying to be quirky with its odd lobby collection of books, maps, magazines, bottles and suitcases.
But here’s where it gets creepy: all this stuff, apart from the books, is what was found in the hotel when the present owners bought the building in 2007.
Before that, it had been abandoned for 43 years. As if the previous owners went out grocery shopping and never came back. Pretty spooky – even for a town that’s seen its fair share of violence, back in the days of gangs and murderers and abductions – many of whom were abducted to serve in the military.
There's a mystery building in Hamburg, Germany. A historic building that used to house the city's tax authority is receiving some interest from a Hong Kong based hotel group. But which one? Well, that's the mystery. Fortunately, we have some clues.
According to the report, the building, built in 1907, will offer 147 hotel rooms once it goes through its massive renovations, to the tune of 50 million Euros. An investor in the property told another newspaper that the hotel will be managed by a hotel operator based in Asia, which could be either Peninsula or Shangri-la.
HotelChatter Reviews / Hotel Indigo Hotels / Hong Kong Hotels / InterContinental Hotels Group / Guess the Hotel / → All Tags
Does the Hotel Indigo make us covet its guestrooms and manage to stand out in the Hong Kong hotel crowd? A HotelChatter Review
Guess the Hotel revealed! The blue staircase and blue pool did indeed belong to the Hotel Indigo Hong Kong, which is where we laid our head during a short stopover in the city. Hong Kong has an impressive hotel game, and our expectations were high given what Indigo pulled off further north in Shanghai. Read on to find out what we thought.
We’ve just left a hotel we’ve been meaning to check out for a while now, and while a full rundown is coming soon, we’re starting things off with a Guess the Hotel: you’ll find a few hints below, and you tell us where you think we’ve just spent the night.
· a shade of blue is where it all starts, and isn’t just a coincidence – showing up both inside in the twisting staircase above, as well as in the outdoor pool below
· inside the guestrooms, our expectations for pretty things – from funky design to quirky features – were high
· set in an up and coming neighborhood in this vibrant city, the hotel cuts a slim silhouette, but will have to throw its weight around to make a dent in the massively competitive hotel game out here
It's time for another rousing rendition of Guess The Hotel! Here's how it works--we give you some hotel hints, you drop your guesses in comments below and we'll tell you if you're right or wrong next week. And away we go!
We already knew donuts were all the rage in the culinary world but in the hotel world? Not so much. Yet this hotel is putting donuts on the guest room pillows...so to speak. Here are some other hints about this hip hotel:
· The surrounding area feels not just like another city, but another country.
· The donuts on the pillow may not be real but the pastries served in the cafe downstairs--the first cafe from a beloved native chef--are TO.DIE.FOR. Chocolate brownie topped with marshmallows, anyone?
· The hotel is currently working on a rooftop pool and restaurant from the same chef, who also opened a cheekily-named restaurant at the hotel.( If we were to say the name of the chef or the restaurant, we would be giving it all away.)
· Most of the decor in the hotel is incredible, taking everyday items and transforming them into sculptures, wallpaper, and seriously cool furnishings.
· There is free WiFi everywhere throughout the hotel.
Think you know what hotel we're hinting at? Drop your guesses in comments below!
It's time for yet another rousing rendition of GUESS THE HOTEL! Here's how it works--we put up a picture of a hotel we recently visited along with a few hints below. You drop your guesses in the comments section and we'll reveal the hotel later in the week.
For this edition of Guess the Hotel, we head across the pond where we found BACON JAM in the minibar. Quite unusual. Here are some other funky things we noticed and loved about the hotel:
· There is a portrait of a woman wearing toilet paper on her head in the room.
· The toiletries were very masculine-smelling which was actually quite nice.
· The WiFi was totally free.
· The restaurant downstairs might just be THE place to eat these days. If you can't snag a reservation, no worries there are three other places to hang out and have a drink.
Think you might know what hotel we're hinting at? Well, we'll give you one last hint. We may have mentioned the hotel in the copy above. Just sayin'. Drop your guesses in comments below!