Tag: citizenm hotelsView All Tags
Affordable Hotels / Hotel Construction / citizenM Hotels / Hoxton Hotels / London Hotels / Hotel News / Hotel Openings / → All Tags
Rosewood London may have dominated headlines for the past six months as the new kid on the block in Holborn (sorry Boris, we’re still not down with calling it ‘Midtown’), but this year should see two new hotels opening in the same area, albeit in a very different segment: citizenM and Hoxton, both representing the much appreciated wave of stylish but affordable options that most cities need more of.
It’s also seconds for both when it comes to the British capital: citizenM Bankside is a twenty-minute walk across the river, and Hoxton Shoreditch has been doing its things just east of the Old Street roundabout for eight years. We walked past both hotels to check out what the buildings are like and how construction is coming along.
We've been anxiously awaiting the opening of the citizenm Times Square for a while now. But while the "affordable luxury" hotel with capsule-sized rooms is closer than ever before to opening, there's still no firm opening date.
We've put down mid-2014 on our master openings list and we think that still holds true. If the spot opens before May, we'll be pleasantly surprised.
That said, citizenM has promised to announce its date on its Facebook page soon, saying as much on a recent FB comment:
In the meantime, here's what we do know about the hotel:
We hope one of you readers out there was able to head over to citizenM Rotterdam and be a test guest earlier this month. For the rest of us, the hotel is now accepting normal reservations, with opening specials (non-refundable) starting at an affordable €59 ($81) a night.
citizenM partnered once again with Dutch design firm Concrete for the look of the 151-room hotel, with furniture by Vitra. Rooms will be familiar to those that have stayed at, or seen our coverage here and here of, citizenM Bankside in London. Public spaces include canteenM and look equally inviting to set up shop for a few hours and work, read, eat, or socialize.
We've always fantasized about being a "test guest" for hotels where we would stay in a hotel before it actually opens to the public and test out everything in the room and on-property. Alas, that has never happened so we settle for being one of the first guests in there on opening night.
But with the upcoming CitizenM Hotel in Rotterdam, they have put out a call for test guests via social media. Here's what we found on their Instagram yesterday :
Fancy a FREE night in Rotterdam? We are looking for people to test our brand new Rotterdam hotel before it opens!! No tricks, it's free in exchange of your thoughts and feedback. Follow #citizenmrotterdam on Twitter for news, or our Facebook page www.facebook.com/citizenMrotterdam
Venturing to that Facebook page yielded this link where three nights are listed for test guests to check-in. Except two of those nights are already sold-out, leaving just December 8 open. So if you plan on being in Rotterdam that day and need a hotel room, or if you're just hotel nerds like us and really want to test it out, then hurry up and book.
The stylish yet affordable CitizenM Hotels is getting closer and closer to opening their first hotel in the U.S.
Last we heard, the Times Square hotel at 218 W. 50th Street would open sometime in Summer 2013. While there's no website up and running for reservation yet, there is a Facebook page but more tellingly, CitizenM recently applied for a liquor license which could mean an opening is coming soon.
According to the hotel's developer, Brack Capital, the 22-story hotel will have 230 rooms, a living room-like lobby, pantry area, fitness center and most importantly, bars (plural) and a rooftop lounge. You can also expect free WiFi and stylish albeit small rooms (see photo above.) The liquor license application goes in front of the community board this Wednesday. Fingers crossed!
More on what's in store for CitizenM after the jump!
5 Best Hotels / HotelChatter Questions / London Hotels / Budget Hotels / citizenM Hotels / DoubleTree Hotels / Indigo Hotels / → All Tags
London is an expensive place to stay the night, that’s nothing new. Moreover, despite the influx of new hotels we’ve seen this year, a post-Olympics slump seems to have been avoided with particularly strong occupancy levels (i.e. the percentage of rooms filled with guests) after the summer’s events. That means it won’t get any easier finding a pleasantly priced hotel room in the city anytime soon.
So what to do if you want something sweet but easy on the wallet?
To help here's five London hotels that offer a bit of style without requiring a second mortgage or limitless credit card to enjoy them.
Hotel News Briefs / Manhattan Hotels / CitizenM Hotels / Gansevoort Hotels / Hotel Woes / Hotel Lawsuits / Wyndham Hotels / Virgin Hotels / Dorchester Collection Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
There's tons of New York hotel news flying around this week and we don't have time to give each and every story the love and attention it may deserve, so you will have to settle for some news briefs.
· CitizenM Times Square Is On Track For Summer 2013: European-based budget hotel chain CitizenM have been circling for a while now on a yet-to-open CitizenM Times Square property on 50th and Broadway. At the beginning of 2011, we were told the brand was shooting for a 2012 opening in Times Square (which obviously never happened). Now, CitizenM executive Michael Levie tells USA Today that construction is well underway, and that the 24-story, 240-room tower is set to open by next summer. What else? The company is also planning a second NYC location in Soho, set to open the following year.
In case you hadn't noticed, the 2012 Olympic Games started in London last week. We're bracing ourselves for the travel gridlock, a tube even more packed with people than it is normally, and hoping for a little bit of magic in the air at the same time.
Starting from today, the hotel has a free, two-week long programme "citizenM Reports", where you can learn to report on "everything but sports", covering aspects of London ranging from food to fashion to street art.
On Monday, we talked at length about the rooms inside citizenM's Bankside London Hotel, which just opened the other week. We're following up today with more on what you can find in the public spaces, including the living room / lounge area, restaurant canteenM, and first floor meeting rooms.
The expansive ground floor, much larger than in the earlier citizenM hotels, features ample space to lounge, work, and eat. You can see some of the various seating areas sprinkled around the space in the pictures, including a small courtyard with birch trees and bright red patio furniture.
There are plenty of tables to catch up on some work or your emails (remember, Wifi is free free free), or have a last-minute meeting using one of the flat-screen TVs to finish that presentation for tomorrow. Four complementary Macs can be found just beyond the courtyard on the left if you do not have a computer with you.
When we last stopped by citizenM Bankside in June, we thought the group's first London hotel looked nearly ready to go. Turns out we were right: soft opening happened a few weeks ago, and we were invited to attend a press preview just last week to get all the details on what will be a game-changing hotel for citizenM.
There's so much to talk about that we will break it down for you in two parts. First up, a bit of background on the philosophy of citizenM, their plans for London and beyond, and the rooms. We'll have more for you on the public spaces later this week.
Hotel Deals / Hotel Promo Codes / Summer Hotels / Hotel Opening Rates / Trump Hotels / citizenM Hotels / InterContinental Hotels / Paris Hotels / → All Tags
Deals: you want 'em, and surprisingly, everyone has 'em. Take a look at some of the latest hotel deals going around the internet today from booking sites, social media sites, flash sale sites and more. Don't forget to scroll down to see the HotelChatter-approved deal either. Who knows? You might just find what you're looking for. (But don't forget to tell us about your stay!)
· Be The First Citizen at citizenM London For About 100GBP: The first citizenM Hotel in London will open in Bankside on July 5 and opening rates are 103.55 GBP a night. That's a special opening rate that's non-refundable but if you want a more flexible rate that can be had for just 109 a night. And remember all citizenM hotels have free WiFi. Go here to book your stay!
· Under 100 Euros for Mama Shelter Paris: Paris ain't cheap in the summer but with this new offer from the budget chic Mama Shelter in the city's 20th arrondissement you can spend the night in the City of Light for just 89 Euros. The deal is good from July 22-August 28th and we found it available on the night of July 22nd. However, it is non-refundable, non-cancellable and requires full payment at the time of booking so be sure you will be there if you book.
· Drink at the Longest Bar in Shanghai for Less : The PuLi Hotel boasts the longest hotel bar in Shanghai and now you can sip a blood & bitters at the bar, thanks to Tablet's latest private sale. Rates for the hotel are going from 1,176-1,876RBM ($185-$295US) down from 1,680-2680 RBM.
· Discover InterContinental Hotels in Latin America and The Caribbean for 20 Percent Less: If you're heading to either Latin America or the Caribbean this summer, there's still plenty of time to book InterContinental Hotel Group's “Discover Latin America and Caribbean” promotion which gives guests complimentary breakfast and savings up to 20 percent at more than 75 IHG hotels. That includes the InterContinental brand of hotels as well Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Expressand Staybridge Suites. And of course, those guests enrolled in IHG's Priority Club Rewards will earn points for their stays. Go here to book. The deal is good through September 1st for stays from now through September 15.
Construction has certainly made a lot of progress since we first got a peek via Foursquare; from the outside the hotel looks nearly ready to go. Work was ongoing this past weekend, but even the entrance / lobby looked like it was coming together.