Tag: Sultan of BruneiView All Tags
Hotel News Briefs / Moxy Hotels / Ace Hotels / Hotel Theaters / Coldplay / Sultan of Brunei / New Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
Buona giornata! There is so much hotel news flying around this week, we just don't have enough time to focus on all of it. So here's a quick rundown to get you up to speed on the latest.
· THE MOXY MILAN HAS SOME GOOD-LOOKING STAFFERS: The first-ever Moxy Hotel from Marriott International,is set to open on September 1 in Milan and if the rooms look as good as the hotel's crew members (who are reportedly singers, dancers, martial artists, photographers, DJ’s and musicians by night), then we think we're going to like this place very much. Rates start at 85 Euros a night. You can follow more of the hotel's opening antics on Facebook.
· COLDPLAY TO PLAY THE ACE LA: The first major, major act is coming to the old United Artists Theater at The Ace Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. Coldplay will play songs from their newest album, Ghost Stories (and some of their older albums too) on Wednesday, September 18 at 8:30pm. You can win tickets to the show via the host, CBS Radio, or by entering on Radio.com. Or you can simply peruse our photos of the awesome theater here and then imagine yourself listening to Coldplay there.
· THIS GUY AGAIN: The Sultan of Brunei, whose Dorchester Collection of hotels suffered a major setback earlier this year when the Sultan's brutal anti-gay policies in Brunei came to light, is now looking at scooping up NYC's iconic Plaza Hotel. We're having a hard time imagining the precocious Eloise under the Sultan's rule but we'll stay optimistic that he turns his attention elsewhere instead.
· A HOTEL FOR LADIES, NOW OPEN TO MEN: While we're on the topic of what women really want from a hotel, perhaps we should consider "Men" on the list? That's what The Martha Washington Hotel in NYC's NoMad nabe will have when it re-opens next month. It was originally built as a home for unmarried women in 1903. Danny Meyer of Shake Shack fame will open an Italian restaurant in the hotel, to be called Marta.
[Photo: Moxy Milan Malpensa]
Hotel Boycotts / Sultan of Brunei / Dorchester Collection Hotels / Hotel News / Hotel Woes / → All Tags
The Sultan of Brunei has implemented the harsh Sharia law, like he said he would, and the CEO of the Dorchester Collection has publicly said that the Sultan would never sell his hotel collection. So where does the boycott go from here?
HR Magazine in the UK has a new list of why the boycott is wrong with the #1 reason being that all profits from the Dorchester Collection are re-invested back into the hotels.
The Dorchester Collection has annual revenue of £300 million, an insignificant amount compared to the estimated $30 billion in assets managed by the BIA. All profits from Dorchester Collection hotels are re-invested back into the hotels, according to DC vice president of people and organisational development Eugenio Pirri. Using it as a financial lever would have no impact on the BIA
(Hmm...why didn't the Dorchester Collection come out with this right away instead of saying that these situations are just a part of "every day life"?)
The article also listed several more hotels and hotel properties that are owned by Kingdom Holding Company of Saudia Arabia, which also punishes gay people with the death penalty. (To be more accurate, Kingdom Holding Company owns only about half of those companies.)
So is the boycott really doing any good? One HotelChatter commenter thinks not:
The boycott of the Dorchester Collection Hotels shows no sign of letting up, with power players in Hollywood targeting The Beverly Hills Hotel by pulling the hotel's biggest event contract, The Night Before The Oscars gala.
Jay Leno also recently joined a small crowd outside the Pink Palace on Monday to protest the extremely harsh sharia laws that the Sultan of Brunei, and owner of the Dorchester Collection, is enforcing back in his country. By 2015, these laws will include stoning people to death for being gay.
While Dorchester Collection released a statement a few weeks ago through a representative, the collection's chief executive officer, Christopher Cowdray, has released a new statement: