Tag: JW Marriott HotelsView All Tags
Hotel News / Hotel Rebrandings / Manhattan Hotels / Jumeirah Hotels / Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / → All Tags
They say history has a way of repeating itself. And apparently, so do hotels, because Jumeirah Essex House is set to become a Marriott once more, after previously flying the Marriott flag between 1969 and 1985.
The hotel has been on the market since March, with plenty of people speculating on just who would be replacing Jumeirah. Nothing was confirmed until late last week, when USA Today announced that JW Marriott would be hanging its sign over the front door.
The new owners, Chicago-based Strategic Group, are happy to be reuniting Marriott with its long-lost Essex House, which Marriott says it has spent the last ten years trying to get back. And Marriott is happy because it finally gets to show off its JW Marriott brand in Manhattan. Winners all around!
Hotel News Briefs / Waldorf Astoria Hotels / NYLO Hotels / Dallas Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Videos / Schoolhouse Hotels / → All Tags
There's even more hotel news flying around this week and we don't have time to give each and every story the love and attention it may deserve, so you will have to settle for some news briefs.
· It's Ok to Be a Geek at This Hotel: There's a new hotel coming to Minneapolis and it's going after geeks. The Commons Hotel will open on 10.11.12 and according to this press release the vibe is "industrial schoolhouse chic." Whatever that means! There will also be a Geek Chic suite and nerdy stay and play experiences and amenities such as alchemist mixology lessons, Book Butlers, Sudoku sleep-ins and a scholarly shopping shuttle for museum shop hopping. More brainiac diversions to the nearby University of Minnesota campus are also planned and even sports fanatics will find ways to indulge at the new hotel. The website is up and running here but rezzies won't begin for another few weeks.
· The Waldorf-Astoria in Panama Gets an Official Name: We already knew that Hilton was taking its luxe Waldorf Astoria brand to Panama but today they let us know that the 248-room hotel will officially go by the name Waldorf Astoria Panama. We like it. Simple and easy to remember. The hotel will open on January 1, 2013 with rates starting at just $219 a night.
Hotel Deals / Hotel Promo Codes / JW Marriott Hotels / Kimpton Hotels / Hoxton Hotels / Manhattan Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
Deals: you want 'em, and surprisingly, everyone has 'em. Take a look at some of the latest hotel deals going around the internet today from booking sites, social media sites, flash sale sites and more. Don't forget to scroll down to see the HotelChatter-approved deal either. Who knows? You might just find what you're looking for. (But don't forget to tell us about your stay!)
· $199 a Night at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami: From now through September 30, you can get "Suntastic Savings" at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami from $239-$299 a night which includes a $50 hotel credit for anything at the hotel from a round of golf to dining out or the spa. But the good news is the rates are even lower than that. We picked a random weekend in July (July 20-22) and found rates were just $199 with the Suntastic Savings. Regular rates were going for $249. To book, go online here and use promo code SUM in the Corportate/Promotional code box. Or call 1-800-228-9290 in the US and mention code SUM.
· $100 F&B Credit to Celebrate Mr. C's 1st Birthday: The stylish Mr C. Beverly Hills (pictured above) is giving out a $100 food and beverage credit with a 2-night minimum stay. We checked rates for July 13-15 and found rooms at a pricey $429 a night but at least you can get a free dinner at Cipriani with that. Book online using promo code MRCGM in the Corporate/Promotion code box.
· Boom, Dynamite! All DC-Area Kimpton Hotels On Sale for Fourth of July: If you're keen to celebrate America's birthday in the Capitol area, then get ready for Kimpton Hotel's 72-hour Red, White, Boom sale on Thursday, June 21. Starting at 12:00am EST and running through 11:59pm EST on June 24, the sale will be your chance to nab a hotel room for as low as $109 a night for stays from June 21 to July 8. To book, visit www.kimptonhotels.com/redwhiteboom and and enter promo code BOOM in the rate code box. Note: The page for the sale will go live when the sale begins. Follow Kimpton's DC hotels on Twitter at KimptonDC for a reminder too. Good luck!
· The Hoxton's Infamous £1 Sale is Back With Rooms During the Olympics: We live for this stuff. The next £1 sale from The Hoxton Hotel in London is set for June 26th. Speedy bookers will have 500 rooms at their disposal for stays from July 1-Septemeber 30. Five of these rooms will be available every night during the Olympics. And yes, for just £1! However, things are a little bit different this time around. Hoxton is requiring you to partake in a £1 sale quiz and PASS IT before you can actually try to book a room. Hope you brush up on your hotel, London and Olympics knowledge before then. Register now as a member of the Hox fan club so you can get alerted to the sale when it begins.
The JW Marriott Mexico City Santa Fe recently opened in a primo location in the city’s newest upscale neighborhood. With 221 rooms, could it give the original JW Marriot Mexico City a run for its money? That hotel was, after all, voted “Best Overall Hotel in Mexico” by Condé Nast readers. Only time will tell....
The JW Marriott Mexico City Santa Fe has some great modern design features, but can best be described as quietly elegant. There aren’t any big, splashy features that scream “look at me” but everywhere you turn there's beautiful design. Rooms are decorated in warm neutrals with all the mod cons we would expect at the five-star level.
We never thought we'd say the 20,000-square-foot Valeo at JW Marriott Chicago could use more offerings in its already intense spa program, but the hotel spa's new UV-light filtered pool and Express Spa Lounge have us changing our tune.
Where Valeo previously captured hardcore spa goers (think radiant heat Clarity Chambers and over-the-top personal care consulting), the spa’s newest extensions brings luxurious treatments to guests with less time to kill.
We stopped by the Express Lounge and breathed a sigh of relief. No need to “consult” about anything (though the option is definitely there), guests can jump into any number of treatments that typically range from 10-40 minutes, including pedis (starting at $25), facials (starting at $30) and Table Thai and Shiatsu Massage (beginning at $25).
Go for “The Trifecta” and you can get a mani, pedi and facial – or any three treatments of your choice – all at the same time. Opt for less, too, if you have only five minutes to spare – this new facet of Valeo is all about accommodating busy schedules.
Hotel News / Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / RItz-Carlton Hotels / Macau Hotels / Hotel Openings / → All Tags
We got all excited on Wednesday when we learned that Vegas hotel overlord Steve Wynn is planning on opening up a third Macau resort in 2015. But he's not the only one eyeing expansion in
Asia's the world's gambling capital—Marriott wants a piece of the action too.
This week, it was announced that 1,300 rooms, suites and floating villas will be added to the already sprawling $1.9 billion complex known as Galaxy Macau.
So which brands has Marriott selected to carry the project through? Funny you should ask: of the two properties being built, one will be the world's largest JW Marriott, and the other will be a Ritz-Carlton, where app-happy guests can go QR code crazy with the brand's new signature iPhone and Android mobile app.
Back in October, one of our contributors had a little love affair with the pools at JW Marriott in Phuket, but we think we've found another JW Marriott pool to set our sights on. And this one doesn't mess around with squirting elephant sculptures and swim-up bars.
We're talking about the fitness center at JW Marriott Seoul, which not only has a six-lane, 25-meter pool, but also a climbing wall, a scuba diving pool, and an indoor running track—oh, and it spans three floors of the hotel.
The Marquis Thermal Spa and Fitness Club calls itself the largest hotel fitness center in Asia, and it offers pretty much every type of indoor fitness amenity you can think of. In fact, guests who stay here should really be held to a certain standard of fitness simply because they have so many options available to them. Just the other day we were mentioning how obsolete the hotel racquetball court has become. Not so in Seoul—this place has got two of 'em.
Hotel Toiletries / Hotel Bathrooms / Bathroom Tuesdays / Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
That's totally doable now, as the brand has just decided to introduce toiletries by Aromatherapy Associates in all bathrooms. Back when we checked in on them in 2008, JW Marriott was using Nervae products, which we don't see very often. Aromatherapy Associates, however, we have encountered before in friends' houses, and we are definitely fans.
Boston.com reports on a new series of partnerships between JW Marriott and other brands that are intended to provide a "lifestyle experience" for guests—starting, of course, with the bathroom experience. Because that's where it all happens!
But, barring the possibility that your room comes with its own sauna or steam room, there are plenty of other, subtler, ways to experience the delights of aromatherapy from your hotel bathroom. Here are three tips on how to transform any product into an aromatherapy treatment:
JW Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Marquis Hotels / Dubai Hotels / Hotel Hype / Hotel News / → All Tags
Well it looks like Marriott Hotels won't be relinquishing their title of "World's Tallest Hotel" anytime soon. Though that distinction belongs currently to the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong come later this year, it will be wrested away by the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai.
Marriott made the announcement today saying that the two towers of the 1,608-room hotel will stand 1,164 feet tall, making them just 85 feet shorter than the Empire State Building. And unlike other hotels in buildings this tall, the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai will be entirely dedicated to hotel operations.
Hotel Amenities / Hotel Technology / Hotel WiFi / Portable WiFi / JW Marriott Hotels / Kuala Lumpur Hotels / Park Hyatt Hotels / Tokyo Hotels / → All Tags
Are wireless hot spots the next hot hotel amenity? Judging by these two recent reports from luxury hotels in Asia, they just might be!
YES has a table in the lobby, adjacent to the Front Desk, where guests can borrow (deposit, but no rental charge) a 4G station, called a “Huddle”. Then, for RM50 per day (USD15/day) you get all the wifi data you can eat. That includes downloading their app and turning your iPod Touch or iPhone, or iPad, into a VOIP phone for free… and, you can connect up to 5 devices at one time.
I’m on it right now with my laptop, and have also connected an iPad and my US iPhone 3GS. I now have all the data and calls I can consume, all at a flat rate.
The Huddle is slightly smaller than the iPhone, and would easily slip into my pocket. I now have a wifi hotspot with me, throughout KL… It just needs to plug in and recharge overnight.
Right now, this is only of value in KL, but what a great connectivity platform! Is this what 4G can do for hotels? No more data roaming overseas at randomly high rates?
Hotel Pools / Phuket Hotels / Photo Gallery / Thailand Hotels / Luxury Hotels / Hotel Amenities / JW Marriott Hotels / Marriott Hotels / → All Tags
To be perfectly clear, we didn't sleep at the JW Marriott, but next door in a hotel to be revealed tomorrow. The thing is, the hotels share a beachfront: Mai Khao Beach on the northwestern tip of Phuket Island. Because the beaches are public, it's quite easy to walk between the properties, and there's even a boardwalk and direction signs to guide vacationers around the area.
If you found yourself with a long stay, you could hop hotel pools no problem, but that wouldn't work very well if you fancy ordering cocktails at the swim-up bar and charging it back to your room.
Back to the pools. The JW has three of them for the general guests, becauseas it goes in Phuketthere's also a selection of suites (and one villa) with private pools. For most, however, the North, Main and South pools will be more than enough aqua entertainment.
London Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Hot Hotelier News / Royal Hotels / Stuart Bowery / Olympics 2012 Hotels / → All Tags
His name aside, hotelier Stuart Bowery has absolutely nothing to do with the eponymous New York hotel. Bowery resides across the pond in London, where he manages the comparably luxe Grosvenor property. Bowery recently received profile treatment from Air & Business Travel News, where he had some interesting things to say about the local hotel scene in the wake of London's disastrous riots and in the lead up to next year's Olympic Games.