Tag: JW Marriott HotelsView All Tags
Hotel Openings / Hotel Restaurants / Dubai Hotels / Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Marriott Marquis / → All Tags
By now an inseparable fixture of the Dubai skyline, the 77-story twin tower JW Marriott Marquis Dubai is gradually introducing itself into the city. After an initial November opening, this month, the hotel begins service at its nine restaurants and five bars, including Vault, a cigar lounge and bar occupying the 71st and 72nd floors of the hotel.
Think that's too many restaurants and bars for one hotel? Think again. Guiness Book of World Records officially recognized the JW Marriott Marquis as the world's tallest hotel, with a current total of 804 rooms.
And don't forget: that's still only half of the hotel. Though we expected the final unveiling sometime this year, the second tower isn't expected to open until late 2014.
That will bring the hotel's total room count to a whopping 1,600, allowing major conventions and meeting groups to house their attendees all under one roof. Like a giant slumber party, only instead of making popcorn and watching Sixteen Candles, guests will be gobbling steak at Prime 68 and whiling away their evenings soaking in the tub overlooking the twinkling lights of Business Bay.
Rates start at $217/night.
Can't wait 'til Christmas Day to see Les Miserables hit the big screen? Then hightail it to Washington D.C. this weekend, Dec. 21-23, and catch the latest live performance of the world's most famous musical at The National Theater. (It's been staged some forty-five thousand times in over 300 cities. Crazy!).
This weekend, though, is your only chance to snag a room after the show next door at Pennsylvania Avenue's JW Marriott for a mere $149 a night. This is thanks to the hotel's "Last-Minute Weekends" deal. Unsurprisingly, rates rocket to $329 a night from Christmas Eve til New Year's.
Thanksgiving Parade Hotels / Manhattan Hotels / Thanksgiving Hotels / Macy's Parade Hotels / Hilton Hotels / Mandarin Oriental Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Residence Inn Hotels / → All Tags
We hope you remembered back in the Spring when we told you the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade route would change this year and booked your hotel stay accordingly.
However, Hurricane Sandy and early snowfall in parts of the country has caused cancelled travel into the city, so some late birds (we won’t call you turkeys) may luck out and score last-minute hotel bookings and get a glimpse of those awesome floats in the flesh.
Let’s be clear though, many of these rooms may more now than normal, and some come with a minimum night’s stay (which won’t be so bad if you’re staying on for Black Friday shopping! anyway! Whee!). And if ANY of the hotels below show up on HotelTonight at noon? Grab 'em up, and schmooze like heck for a good room!
Just a few other things to know:
Hotel Opening Dates / Peru Hotels / Cusco Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Marriott Hotels / Hotel News / Photo Gallery / → All Tags
Fly into Peru's Lima Airport anytime soon and, even before you hit the streets, you'll be face-to-face with a huge ad for the two JW Marriott properties in Peru: the JW Marriott Lima and the JW Marriott Cusco. For now we focus on the JW Marriott Cusco, as it's only just opened and we just missed it by a few days. Still, we managed to snap a few preview shots.
The property sits within a former monastery and numbers 153 rooms and suites, all with supplemental oxygen to combat the effects of Cusco's high altitude. This feature they "borrow" from the Orient-Express Hotel Monasterio just up the street, which originated the unique offering. In fact, the JW and the Monasterio will go head-to-head in competition for guests; who will choose Orient-Express and who will choose Marriott?
GulfNews reports that the hotel is predicting 80% occupancy over the first two years of its opening—that's roughly 1,300 out of the hotel's expected 1,600 total rooms, all filled. Never mind that Dubai is one of the world's most hotel-saturated cities, JW Marriott Marquis has apparently found its "sweet spot" (their words, not ours), and isn't at all worried about whether the demand will meet the supply.
Photo Gallery Faves / Hotel Chatter Originals / Manhattan Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Andaz Hotels / LA Hotels / Mackinac Island Hotels / → All Tags
Thanks to our far-flung, adventurous and nonstop jetsetting contributors who never enter a hotel room without photographing the place from top to bottom, we've been able to get a peek into hotel rooms around the world by flipping through our numerous Photo Galleries.
We have so many good shots from so many great hotels, it's getting hard to keep track of all of them. So from now on, we'll be rounding up our favorite photo galleries. Some will be pulled together by hotel brand others will be done by city, design, style, amenities or just plain old hotel lust.
Got a hotel you'd like to see more of? Ask us, we probably have pictures of it!
Today, we've got food on the brain and thinking about what tasty treats will be on offer this fall. Chefs scouring farmer's markets in search of fantastic produce to create comfort food dishes and fancy teas that'll knock our socks off (or put them on--we've been barefoot all summer). Here are a few places that like to showcase their culinary offerings. Hope you're hungry!
Hotel News / Hotel Woes / JW Marriott Hotels / Chicago Hotels / Hotel Pools / Hotel Safety / Hotel Tips / → All Tags
New this May, JW Marriott Chicago's chlorine-less pool touted a UV-light filtration process
Here’s what we know so far: an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease has been connected to 10 guests who visited or stayed at the JW Marriot Chicago between mid-July and mid-August. As of this past Friday, three of those guests died from the disease. The same strain of legionella bacteria found in the ill guests was also found in JW Marriott Chicago's pool, whirlpool, and decorative fountain in the main lobby, all of which have since been drained. The bacteria was also found in the men's and women's lockers rooms.
The Chicago Department of Public Health reported last week that the JW Marriott was fully cooperating with the ongoing investigation and had taken the recommended measures to reduce the risk of exposure. They now believe there is no ongoing health threat at the hotel.
It's heavy hotel news, but sadly, legionnaires' happens in the hotel (hot-tubing, cruise-shipping and hospital-going) world. Last year alone, it sickened two guests and claimed the life of another at Luxor, and sickened six at Aria, both in Vegas.
Essentially a severe pneumonia, legionnaires’ is caused by high concentrations of legionella bacteria that show up in water. It can survive for many months in that wet environment, especially in warm water. Transmission isn’t totally understood, but the gist of it is that it’s not spread by person-to-person contact but by inhaling or ingesting the legionella microbes (read: drinking the water, breathing in the vapor above and around the water). Once contracted, legionnaires’ can take anywhere from two to eight days to show up.
Deep in the hotel trenches, we also know that the new-in-May pool at JW Marriott was very unique in its UV filtration process—an important fact absent from the majority of news on the outbreak. Dubbed a high-tech pool by the hotel, the 11.2 meter chlorine-less pool was instead filtered by UV-light. According to the hotel’s original press release on the pool, “the water flows through UV-light chambers to eliminate 99% of all toxins and bacteria resulting in less chlorine in the pool than in average drinking water.” The release continues, “The absence of chlorine eliminates allergies and irritations and offers the feeling of swimming in a fresh water lake.”
Hotel News / Hotel Rebrandings / Manhattan Hotels / Jumeirah Hotels / Marriott Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / → All Tags
They say history has a way of repeating itself. And apparently, so do hotels, because Jumeirah Essex House is set to become a Marriott once more, after previously flying the Marriott flag between 1969 and 1985.
The hotel has been on the market since March, with plenty of people speculating on just who would be replacing Jumeirah. Nothing was confirmed until late last week, when USA Today announced that JW Marriott would be hanging its sign over the front door.
The new owners, Chicago-based Strategic Group, are happy to be reuniting Marriott with its long-lost Essex House, which Marriott says it has spent the last ten years trying to get back. And Marriott is happy because it finally gets to show off its JW Marriott brand in Manhattan. Winners all around!
Hotel News Briefs / Waldorf Astoria Hotels / NYLO Hotels / Dallas Hotels / JW Marriott Hotels / Videos / Schoolhouse Hotels / → All Tags
There's even more hotel news flying around this week and we don't have time to give each and every story the love and attention it may deserve, so you will have to settle for some news briefs.
· It's Ok to Be a Geek at This Hotel: There's a new hotel coming to Minneapolis and it's going after geeks. The Commons Hotel will open on 10.11.12 and according to this press release the vibe is "industrial schoolhouse chic." Whatever that means! There will also be a Geek Chic suite and nerdy stay and play experiences and amenities such as alchemist mixology lessons, Book Butlers, Sudoku sleep-ins and a scholarly shopping shuttle for museum shop hopping. More brainiac diversions to the nearby University of Minnesota campus are also planned and even sports fanatics will find ways to indulge at the new hotel. The website is up and running here but rezzies won't begin for another few weeks.
· The Waldorf-Astoria in Panama Gets an Official Name: We already knew that Hilton was taking its luxe Waldorf Astoria brand to Panama but today they let us know that the 248-room hotel will officially go by the name Waldorf Astoria Panama. We like it. Simple and easy to remember. The hotel will open on January 1, 2013 with rates starting at just $219 a night.
Hotel Deals / Hotel Promo Codes / JW Marriott Hotels / Kimpton Hotels / Hoxton Hotels / Manhattan Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
Deals: you want 'em, and surprisingly, everyone has 'em. Take a look at some of the latest hotel deals going around the internet today from booking sites, social media sites, flash sale sites and more. Don't forget to scroll down to see the HotelChatter-approved deal either. Who knows? You might just find what you're looking for. (But don't forget to tell us about your stay!)
· $199 a Night at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami: From now through September 30, you can get "Suntastic Savings" at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami from $239-$299 a night which includes a $50 hotel credit for anything at the hotel from a round of golf to dining out or the spa. But the good news is the rates are even lower than that. We picked a random weekend in July (July 20-22) and found rates were just $199 with the Suntastic Savings. Regular rates were going for $249. To book, go online here and use promo code SUM in the Corportate/Promotional code box. Or call 1-800-228-9290 in the US and mention code SUM.
· $100 F&B Credit to Celebrate Mr. C's 1st Birthday: The stylish Mr C. Beverly Hills (pictured above) is giving out a $100 food and beverage credit with a 2-night minimum stay. We checked rates for July 13-15 and found rooms at a pricey $429 a night but at least you can get a free dinner at Cipriani with that. Book online using promo code MRCGM in the Corporate/Promotion code box.
· Boom, Dynamite! All DC-Area Kimpton Hotels On Sale for Fourth of July: If you're keen to celebrate America's birthday in the Capitol area, then get ready for Kimpton Hotel's 72-hour Red, White, Boom sale on Thursday, June 21. Starting at 12:00am EST and running through 11:59pm EST on June 24, the sale will be your chance to nab a hotel room for as low as $109 a night for stays from June 21 to July 8. To book, visit www.kimptonhotels.com/redwhiteboom and and enter promo code BOOM in the rate code box. Note: The page for the sale will go live when the sale begins. Follow Kimpton's DC hotels on Twitter at KimptonDC for a reminder too. Good luck!
· The Hoxton's Infamous £1 Sale is Back With Rooms During the Olympics: We live for this stuff. The next £1 sale from The Hoxton Hotel in London is set for June 26th. Speedy bookers will have 500 rooms at their disposal for stays from July 1-Septemeber 30. Five of these rooms will be available every night during the Olympics. And yes, for just £1! However, things are a little bit different this time around. Hoxton is requiring you to partake in a £1 sale quiz and PASS IT before you can actually try to book a room. Hope you brush up on your hotel, London and Olympics knowledge before then. Register now as a member of the Hox fan club so you can get alerted to the sale when it begins.
The JW Marriott Mexico City Santa Fe recently opened in a primo location in the city’s newest upscale neighborhood. With 221 rooms, could it give the original JW Marriot Mexico City a run for its money? That hotel was, after all, voted “Best Overall Hotel in Mexico” by Condé Nast readers. Only time will tell....
The JW Marriott Mexico City Santa Fe has some great modern design features, but can best be described as quietly elegant. There aren’t any big, splashy features that scream “look at me” but everywhere you turn there's beautiful design. Rooms are decorated in warm neutrals with all the mod cons we would expect at the five-star level.
We never thought we'd say the 20,000-square-foot Valeo at JW Marriott Chicago could use more offerings in its already intense spa program, but the hotel spa's new UV-light filtered pool and Express Spa Lounge have us changing our tune.
Where Valeo previously captured hardcore spa goers (think radiant heat Clarity Chambers and over-the-top personal care consulting), the spa’s newest extensions brings luxurious treatments to guests with less time to kill.
We stopped by the Express Lounge and breathed a sigh of relief. No need to “consult” about anything (though the option is definitely there), guests can jump into any number of treatments that typically range from 10-40 minutes, including pedis (starting at $25), facials (starting at $30) and Table Thai and Shiatsu Massage (beginning at $25).
Go for “The Trifecta” and you can get a mani, pedi and facial – or any three treatments of your choice – all at the same time. Opt for less, too, if you have only five minutes to spare – this new facet of Valeo is all about accommodating busy schedules.