Tag: Hotel WoesView All Tags
We'll probably get coal in our stocking for this latest hotel rumor but Santa Claus already has us on the naughty list, so here it goes:
We got this cryptic email in our inbox a few weeks ago that said:
A Very wealthy Russian is in process of buying a number of Aman Hotels, including the renowned Hotel Bora Bora on the island of Bora Bora which was closed completely some 5 years ago. With plans to completely renovate or re-build.
(The emailer also wrote "Arman Hotels" but we've taken the liberty of correcting it to Aman, since surely that's what they were talking about.)
This is interesting because Aman Resorts, a collection of stunning luxury retreats, has been the victim of a nasty business dispute, and subsequent lawsuits in the UK and the US, between Russian billionaire Vladislov Doronin, and troubled financier Omar Amanat, who purchased the hotel brand together during a happier time.
Hotel Woes / Hoteliers / Hot Hotelier News / Hotel News / Sam Nazarian / Viva Vegas / SLS Hotels / → All Tags
Last August was undeniably the peak of hotelier Sam Nazarian's career. After a few years of stagnancy followed by some fast and furious renovations, the worn down Sahara Las Vegas casino and hotel was set free from its Rat Pack history days and transformed into the modern, design-forward, and frankly, thrilling SLS Las Vegas.
We attended the opening (you can read that coverage here) and even though we knew Nazarian didn't single-handedly breathe new life into a rather depressing end of the Las Vegas Strip, he was the visionary behind everything that is now in place at the resort--from Chef Jose Andres Bazaar Meat restaurant to Philippe Starck's stylish guest rooms, Umami Burger, LiFE Nightclub, Griddle Cafe and a handful of retail boutiques from Fred Segal.
Making the opening night of the SLS more meaningful for Sam was that he and his dad rang in the SLS opening bell in a ballroom where Frank Sinatra and other legends once performed.
But now, those legendary moments are over. At least for Nazarian in Las Vegas.
Stockbridge Capital, the company that owns 90 percent of the SLS Las Vegas to Nazarian's SBE's 10 percent, announced yesterday that Nazarian will no longer be involved in the management of the SLS Las Vegas.
We’ll start with the good news first: of the twelve hotel employees that were injured after the gas blast at the Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill, only one remains hospitalized, with non-life threatening injuries. Having walked by the hotel, we can also confirm that statements about part of the building having “collapsed” seem exaggerated: as you can see in the photos further below, the building is intact, and only at the rear of the building does there seem to be any damage.
Unfortunately, the official statement on the hotel website, and the notices we saw, do say that the hotel is “currently closed for the foreseeable future”.
Hotel Woes / Cabo Hotels / Cabo San Lucas Hotels / Secrets Resorts / All-Inclusive Resorts / AM Resorts / → All Tags
It looks like Hurricane Odile is still causing trouble in Cabo. Aside from structurally damaging nearly every resort and forcing many of them to close for several months, the hurricane stirred up some behind-the-scenes drama.
We've already chronicled the saga of The Resort at Pedregal which kicked out Capella Hotels as their managing brand. Now the same things seems to be happening at Secrets Marquis. Initially, Secrets Marquis said they would reopen on December 20. Then, their Facebook page made an update saying that the resort would be closed until further notice.
Over the weekend, a tipster told us the resort made another kind of announcement on Facebook last week, claiming parent company of Secrets--AM Resorts--has been locked out of the property. Here's the full statement:
Some terrible news out of London just as the weekend was starting a few days ago: around 11.40pm on Friday night, a gas explosion occurred in the basement of the Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill, injuring twelve hotel employees.
All guests were evacuated and accommodated at nearby hotels. Various news outlets, including the BBC, are referring to a few people being hospitalized, with the total number of guests evacuated at around 500. No guests were injured, according to a Hyatt spokesperson.
While The Telegraph opens with the blast having caused “part of the building to collapse”, the main structure of the building is intact. The London Fire Brigade, which responded to the incident, believes it due to a suspected gas leak, resulting in “extensive damage to the basement and the ground floor”.
We hope the injured will recover soon. We’ll keep you posted if there is a longer-term impact on the Hyatt, but leave you for now with the official statement from the hotel’s website:
The luck has gone from bad to worse to slightly better and then back to worse for the now-closed Revel Resort & Casino on Atlantic City's boardwalk. The Canadian firm who announced last month they would buy the resort for a bargain $110 million has decided to drop the deal.
Toronto-based Brookfield US Holdings LLC has simply said that it "terminated the Revel acquisition." The Press of Atlantic City first reported the news and said the reason for the termination was because " bondholders refused to rework debt connected to construction of Revel’s power plant." The power plant story is kind of a doozy. Read the Press' report to find out more.
So what does this mean for Revel? Well, a backup buyer was named at the bankruptcy auction, developer Glenn Straub. He even appealed the bankruptcy court decision to name Brookfield as owner. The good news is, he's still very interested but he doesn't seem keen to keep the aspect of Revel. Hey, something is better than nothing, right?
Keep reading for another update on the AC Hotel Scene
Hotel Development / Hollywood Hotels / Hotel Hype / Millennium Hotels / Hotel Woes / W Hotels / → All Tags
One of the most talked about mixed-use developments in the history of Hollywood is having a hard time getting off the ground, mostly because of what is going on below the ground. Millennium Hollywood, aka "MillHoll," is an ambitious live-work-stay destination that aims to add about a million square feet, and a 200-room luxury hotel, onto a couple of vacant parking lots. MillHoll is located next door to the iconic Capital Records Tower, which is to be a highlighted feature of the mega-urban project.
The hottest issue that may be keeping MillHoll from advancing past renderings form is whether or not the land is sitting on top of an active earthquake fault. If it's true, that's one hell of a "no-no."
Hotel Woes / Hotel Lawsuits / Cabo Hotels / Cabo San Lucas Hotels / Capella Hotels / Hotel News / → All Tags
Over the weekend, there was a slight reprieve in the press release war between Capella Hotels and the owners of The Resort at Pedregal but judging by the latter's social media postings, they are not backing down and will forge ahead with their new identity and management.
Quick backstory in case you missed it last week: The owners of Pedregal terminated Capella as the luxury resort's manager, installed a new GM (from a Wyndham hotel in Chicago, btw) and locked Capella's old GM out of the property. Capella took the owners to the NY Supreme Court and got a ruling which reinstated them as managers. Meanwhile, the resort is still closed for ongoing renovations due to damage sustained by Hurricane Odile.
Could this BE any more of a hotel telenovela???
Over the weekend, perhaps to show off their determination in the face of the court ruling, The Resort at Pedregal has been steady with their social media postings. Here are a couple of posts from their Facebook feed:
Hotel Lawsuits / Hotel Woes / Hotel News / Hotel Fights / Capella Hotels / Cabo Hotels / Cabo San Lucas Hotels / → All Tags
Earlier today, we learned that Capella Hotels was reinstated as manager of the Capella Pedregal in Cabo San Lucas, a luxury resort that's currently closed while undergoing renovations for damage sustained from Hurricane Odile in September. But there's another storm brewing behind the scenes and this one could damage the resort for good.
Earlier in the week the owner of the Pedregal property, Hoteles de Cabo, S.de R.L.de C.V, (also known as CarVal Investors) announced that Capella would no longer manage the resort. The property would be known instead as The Resort at Pedregal. When we inquired about the reason for the management change, we were told this: "It was decided by ownership that it is in the best interests of everyone involved for The Resort to begin a new direction and the name change reflects the commitment to the new direction." Very vague.
But now that Capella has taken the matter to court and won a ruling in their favor, Hoteles de Cabo has let loose a bunch of allegations of mismanagement including, "unauthorized payments to themselves, and false financial reports." Perhaps worst of all, Hoteles De Cabo said Capella Hotel Group is withholding the funds that were donated to the employees of the resort after the hurricane.
Here's a statement from the Pedregal ownershipr:
"Beyond its mismanagement of the property itself, Capella has held funds donated by generous patrons to help the neediest team members recover from the devastating effects of Hurricane Odile.
Capella is holding tens of thousands of dollars intended specifically to help hotel associates get their lives back in order following the horrific storms that have plagued Cabo recently. For reasons beyond our knowledge, they have opted not to distribute those funds. This is not only unacceptable for the unfortunate families involved, but should be doubly embarrassing in light of the fact that the funds were donated by our guests."
So much for that hefty donation Capella Hotel Group contributed. Hoteles de Cabo has said their company has distributed $125,000 directly to the employees of the hotel.
Cabo Resorts Reopenings / Hotel Reopenings / Hurricane Odile / Hotel Woes / Hotel News / Cabo Hotels / → All Tags
The other week we published a list of official reopening dates for the resorts and hotels of Cabo San Lucas, who were hit very hard by Hurricane Odile in September. Worryingly, quite a few of the hotels on the list were only given the dreaded "To Be Announced" slot for their opening dates. Today, we have a few of those TBA dates firmed up.
· Capella Pedegral: The luxury hotel plans on reopening January 15. Here's a portion of the statement they put on their website:
Capella Pedregal has completed its assessment of the damage resulting from Hurricane Odile, and as reported earlier, the damage to the hotel was not severe and our initial goal was to be operational the earliest date possible. Unfortunately, the items needed for our hotel to be fully operational are estimated to be delivered and installed in January 2015.
If you have reservations with the hotel before January 15, 2015, Capella will issue fulleposit refunds and can either book you for alternative dates or check availability at their sister properties. Call 877.247.6688 with your concerns.
· One & Only Palmilla: Initially, this hotel was hoping to be back up by December 15. But now that date has been pushed to March 15. Here's their statement:
Hurricane Odile significantly impacted One&Only Palmilla and our team members and we are working hard to bring back our beloved resort and to delivering a true One&Only experience.
If you have reservations before March 15, call the hotel at 888-691-8081 to reschedule or amend.
· Esperanza, an Auberge Resort: Initially expected to open in December, the luxury resort will now open on March 1. If you have a reservation booked prior to this new March opening, contact reservations at 866-311-2226 for refund and re-booking assistance.
Keep reading for a list of updated reopening dates in chronological order
Cabo Hotels / Cabo San Lucas Hotels / Cabo Resorts / Hotel Emergencies / Hotel Reopenings / Hotel News / Hotel Woes / Hurricane Odile / → All Tags
UPDATE, 6.5.15: Here is the rest of the reopening dates for Cabo hotel.
We've been keeping tabs on the resort re-openings in Cabo San Lucas, after the area was severely damaged by Hurricane Odile last month. But now, we have a fully updated list from Los Cabos Hotel Association. And the timing couldn't be better as Cabo's airport officially re-opened today.
Quite a few hotels will open this month and next, and indeed, quite a few are already back in business. But there are five hotels that won't open until well into 2015 while 10 hotels still have no opening dates. We hope those change soon.
Keep reading to see the full list!
Hotel WiFi / Marriott Hotels / Convention Center Hotels / WiFi Hotspots / Hotel Woes / Hotel News / → All Tags
After a Courtyard by Marriott in Manhattan was embarrassingly outed for "code injecting" a few years back, we kinda thought that Marriott International would learn from this lesson and drop all their WiFi shenanigans, especially after telling us how much of a priority free and working WiFi are for them. But no.
On Friday, news came out that the Federal Communications Commission fined Marriott Hotels $600,000 for blocking mobile WiFi hotspots at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville back in March of 2013. (Marriott took over the property in 2012.) In blocking these hotspots, Marriott then charged conference attendees, exhibitors and small businesses between $250 and $1,000 per device to connect to the hotel's own network. #heinous.
However, those shenanigans have caught up with them. Now, after forking over $600,000 in fines, Marriott will also have to send "compliance and usage reports to the FCC every three months for the next three years." So, you'd expect Marriott to finally learn their lesson after this ruling. Nope. Read this statement they released, which Loyalty Lobby posted up: