Tag: Hotel FiresView All Tags
The Metropolitan on London’s Park Lane used to be on fire. Everyone who was anyone hung out at the Met Bar, we couldn’t get enough of the sleek white rooms, and not a day went by without us fantasizing about eating at Nobu one day.
These days, the scene is a little quieter. But yesterday the hotel actually caught fire, causing the evacuation of 180 guests, 120 staff and needing 40 firefighters to battle the flames.Luckily, nobody was hurt, and it looks like there wasn’t a huge amount of damage.
Last Saturday, there was a fire in paradise at the One & Only Ocean Club in the Bahamas. Ten of the resort's 104 have been shut down due to damage by the fire. (Those rooms were located in the Crescent Wing.)
The cause of the fire, according to hotel officials, is said to be under “investigation” but a local news source, Tribune 242, says the answer is very simple: an eyewitness told the publication the hotel’s “Big Bang” fireworks show is the culprit.
Apparently, every so often, the resort has a major fireworks extravaganza and that night the $16,000 display caused wooden shingles on a roof to catch fire. It was ablaze for about 25 minutes before staff noticed and attempted to extinguish it. Authorities eventually arrived at the hotel around 11:30 pm and took just minutes to put out the remaining flames.
See the online video of the fire, after the jump.
We've all been there with our jobs--so annoyed and frustrated and sick of the same damn BS that we've wanted to set it on fire and walk away. Ok, maybe we all haven't had that last thought but a hotel security director at the YOTEL in Times Square did and he acted on it too.
Fire marshals arrested Mariano Barbosa, Jr., over the weekend for setting fires at the Yotel in "an attempt to make the hotels less popular and his job more manageable." The NY Times reports further saying:
It appeared to fire marshals that Mr. Barbosa had grown tired of patrons at the hotels’ bars and parties, said a fire official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the continuing investigation. “He desired that the incidents would be blamed on the clientele, and if that was the case maybe they would curtail the parties, and the venues would be more manageable,” the official said.
In proving that trouble can indeed find you in paradise, the Palm Island Resort in the Grenadines had to relocate its guests to nearby islands after a generator fire knocked out the power on Christmas Eve.
Christmas Eve. Yikes.
The resort originally announced it would close until the end of January, but they have since moved up the reopening to January 15, 2013. The hotel said in a statement that they have contacted guests who were scheduled to arrive prior to January 15 and offered them the opportunity to re-book for future dates.
Hotel Arrests / NFL Hotels / Jock Jam Hotels / Celebrity Scoop / Hotel News / Hotel Fires / → All Tags
The news of Philadelphia Eagles player Dion Lewis pulling a fire alarm at a Hampton Inn over the weekend can be chalked up to typical off-season NFL player shenanigans. (Seriously, compared with other stuff NFL guys get into, this one is TAME.)
But we think there's an important lesson here for you frequent hotel guests--pulling that fire alarm when there's no fire will get you arrested. That's what happened with Lewis and his brother after the duo arrived back at the hotel in Albany, where they were staying, at 5am and couldn't get in. They began banging on the doors and then pulled the fire alarm. Yeah, this wasn't going to end well.
Hotel Emergencies / Hotel Woes / Hotel News / Manhattan Hotels / Hilton Hotels / Hotel Fires / Hotel Basements / → All Tags
Noticed any weirdness at the Hilton New York yesterday afternoon? Maybe you heard some strange sounds, or the lights went out, or maybe you got trapped in an elevator? No, that wasn't paranormal activity (you'll need to head to the Skirvin Hilton in Oklahoma City for that sort of thing)—the hotel was simply on fire.
The NY Post reports that three workers were fixing some equipment in the electrical closet in the hotel's basement when the equipment exploded, sending rumbles up through the lobby and the meeting rooms.
Luckily, no one was seriously injured, including the workers, who emerged from the building with just a few minor burns. However, dozens of guests were evacuated from the business center in the hotel's basement, and when the hotel subsequently lost power, several got trapped in the elevators.
Contrary to alarmist reports last week, the Hotel Ritz in Paris did not burn down during that random fire that broke out along Place Vendome. True, the hotel was covered in large amounts of black smoke but we now know the hotel's interiors are safe...until the hotel closes down this summer to make way for its planned renovations of course.
A French reader emailed us the latest info on the fire:
The iconic Hotel Ritz in Paris went up in smoke today as an underground parking garage in the Place du Vendome caught fire.
The fire appears to have been put out already but looking at these photos compiled by the Le Parisien newspaper we can see it was a rather tremendous blaze covering the entire area in black smoke. Whether the hotel itself suffered interior damages, we aren't quite sure. Several folks on Twitter say the hotel is on fire but actually the fire began in the parking garage which is next door to the hotel and it's not clear if the fire spread to the Ritz.
Normally, we'd say we hope the hotel makes it out ok but the Ritz is closing this summer for two years for a massive renovation, so we're not sure they're keen to keep much of the old stuff.
Anyone fluent in French with updates on the Ritz fire, keep us updated SVP!
In case you need another reminder that gas leaks are no joke, an entire hotel went up in flames today because of one. The hotel, the designy-boutique JIA Shanghai, suffered exterior damage, as it was mainly the facade that caught on fire after "work being done by the government on a gas main that ruptured," according to Shanghaiist.
Almost as quickly as the gas leak caused tongues of flame to reach each balcony at the hotel, the fire was put out and all guests safe and accounted for. This is the reason hotels have emergency escape plans posted on the back of every room door.
Hotel Fires / Richard Branson / Necker Island / Hotel News / Private Island Hotels / Kate Winslet / Celebrity Scoop / → All Tags
We used to think Sir Richard Branson was untouchable with his death-defying stunts, jet-setting lifestyle and nonstop partying but last night, Branson and his family narrowly escaped a dramatic fire at the Great House on his 74-acre personal paradise, Necker Island.
While family (including Branson's 90-year-old mum), friends (including Kate Winslet) and staff escaped unharmed, the Great House building suffered substantial damage and is according to Branson's blog still burning:
We had a tropical storm with winds up to 90mph. A big lightning storm came around 4am and hit the house. My son Sam and nephew Jack rushed to the house and helped get everyone out and many thanks to Kate Winslet for helping to carry my 90 year mum out of the main house to safety wondering when a Director was going to shout CUT!
The main house is destroyed and the fire is not yet completely out. My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs and my note books which is very sad. But all family and friends are well - which in the end is all that really matters.
Hotel Art / Hotel Crime / Los Angeles Hotels / Ritz Carlton Hotels / Police Hotels / Marriott Hotels / Hotel Fires / → All Tags
On Saturday, a $250,000 Rembrandt etching known as "The Judgment" disappeared from an exhibit in the hotel lobby. So how exactly does a 350-year-old lithograph just vanish? Well, that's kinda what police are trying to figure out. In the words of the LA County Sheriff's Department:
"When the curator that was attending to the art exhibit turned back to the exhibit, he noticed immediately that this individual drawing...was gone."
What you are seeing is the burning roof of the View Point Inn, the Portland, OR hotel where Twilight once filmed Bella and Edward's Monte Carlo prom scene.
The 87-year-old year old "world class" hotel has notoriously suffered from leaky ceilings and a crumbling chimneys—though that is all, by now, public knowledge. The recent damage (the hotel caught fire on Sunday after particles from the chimney settled on the roof), however, may prove more than a simple charity prom can handle.
Optimistic owner Geoff Thompson, who kept up a brave front, asserted, "A little fire isn't gonna stop us." "Unfortunately," he added, "this is a big fire." Thompson, being interviewed by a local TV station, seemed uncertain whether this spelled the end for the hotel.