Tag: Hotel EmergenicesView All Tags
UPDATE: The hotel has gotten an "All Clear" from the bomb squad and guests have been allowed back in their rooms. Phew!
Miami Beach hotels are no strangers to evacuations at this time of year when tropical storms and hurricanes are swirling all around but at the Sofitel Miami near the airport was evacuated this morning due to something far more sinister--a bomb threat. WSVN-TV reports:
According to Miami-Dade Police, the threat was phoned in to the hotel located at 5800 Blue Lagoon Drive, and people inside the hotel, including staff and guests, were evacuated at around 11 a.m. Monday. Officers and firefighters went door-to-door at the hotel to make sure everyone had been evacuated. Blue Lagoon Drive has been shutdown in both directions. As the evacuees stood in the hot sun, the crowd was offered food and Water. Miami-Dade Transit buses were called to the scene to allow those waiting outside to cool off until they are allowed back inside the building.
Hotel News Briefs / Hotel Openings / Viva Vegas / Hotel Emergenices / Hotel Woes / Wyndham Hotels / → All Tags
There's tons of hotel news flying around this week and we don't have time to give each and every story the love and attention it may deserve, so you will have to settle for some news briefs.
· Wynn's Encore Opening Soon: In our last story about the rooms for CES in Las Vegas we noticed that the Encore Las Vegas would be open during the convention. We just wanted to remind you that Encore will be officially opening on Dec. 22nd. [Official Site]
· Plaxico Burress Shoots Himself in a Hotel Nightclub: We all know that NY Giants receiver Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg over the weekend. But did you know the nightclub where it went down was in a hotel? In a Radisson Hotel ?? [Jaunted]
· Rock Island Casino-Hotel Opens: A new $150 million casino and hotel complex has opened in Illinois, called Jumer's Casino Rock Island. [Chicago Tribune]
· How to Survive a Terrorist Attack On Your Hotel: This author has stayed (at one point or another) in four hotels that have now been attacked by terrorists. Here are his tips for picking safe hotels. [The Atlantic]
· Cambria Suites Opens 10th Hotel: Cambria Suites just opened their 10th hotel in Raleigh Durham today. Not bad for a brand that's only one-year old. [MarketWatch]
· More Hotel Woes: 200 workers at the Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa in Puerto Rico, a Wyndham property, were laid off. [Newsday]