Tag: Hotel AccidentsView All Tags
Guests dining at the Knave Cafe at the Le Parker Meridien this morning were given quite a show when liquid concrete began pouring into the cafe.
Witnesses told The NY Post that the mixture was a foot deep and that it even moved chairs and tables. Apparently, a construction site next door to the hotel was pouring concrete when somehow the mixture went astray.
No one was injured and the hotel tweeted that the damage was contained in the cafe and did not spread to any other parts of the hotel. And the hotel's official statement reads pretty much the same:
Celebrity Scoop / Steven Tyler / Hotel Accidents / Paraguay Hotels / Hotel Bathrooms / Hotel Showers / American Idol Hotels / → All Tags
"You can't handle the tooth," 63-year-old Steven Tyler joked to Matt Lauer on the Today Show earlier this morning, when the rock star phoned in from South America to explain his recent injury. Apparently, the singer was battling "food poisoning" (yeah right, and his daughter Liv Tyler is actually an Elf Princess) when he lost his balance and fell face first into the shower floor.
Tyler was staying at the Bourbon Hotel in Paraguay, and thanks to his tour manager, located a nearby hospital to stitch up his eye, re-align his face, and fix his broken tooth. Now, that must have been a pretty heavy fall. And knowing what we know, Mr. Tyler can be a little accident prone. So we have to wonder. Who do you think suffered more damage: Steven Tyler's face, or the shower stall?
Hotel Accidents / Hotel Lobbies / Hotel Furniture / Four Points Hotels / Sheraton Hotels / Starwood Hotels / Manhattan Hotels / → All Tags
If you're the type who likes to point and laugh when people fall down, then we're glad you weren't with us inside the Four Points by Sheraton Midtown yesterday. Stopping inside the lobby for a quick emailing session on our way to work, we sauntered in and—unthinkingly—plopped down on a small, circular bench. And proceeded to fall face-first to the ground.
The bench, which is wrapped around a pillar in the center of the lobby, is made up of separate chairs. Those chairs, it turns out, are not fastened to anything—nor are they entirely ergonomic. So any unsuspecting schmo with a too-heavy backpack, and a tendency to sit only on the edge of things (read: us), should exercise extreme caution. Follow the instructions below to avoid potential disaster.
People accidentally falling to their death from hotels, while horrifyingly tragic, actually happens quite often. We don't have any numbers or stats at hand but since we're hotel news junkies, we can tell you that those types of incidents pop up rather frequently, like on a weekly basis.
We tend to stay away from those morbid types of stories, after all, there's not much else we can say except to comment on how tragic and preventable the fall could have been.
Yet the case of the two women who fell from the 10th floor of the W Atlanta is incredibly scary because the women weren't hanging out on a hotel room balcony or a rooftop. They weren't even outside.
Ciara Williams and LaShawna Threatt were celebrating Threatt's birthday at the hotel in a guestroom. Reports say the two women were leaning and hugging each other against the room window when suddenly it broke, plummeting the two women below. Williams survived the free fall with internal injuries and a collapsed lung. Threatt did not survive.
Warning: some NSFW language
So you've probably already heard all about how, during Diddy's "Last Train to Paris" album listening party and livecast last night, a naked model caught her hair on fire, LIVE. But have you heard where it all went down? Apparently Diddy invited 20 of his friends (and sexy ladyfriends) up to the Penthouse Suite of the The London NYC, but some 200 people showed and this hair-on-fire accident happened and now Diddy is no longer welcome at the hotel.
Among the guests were Usher, Chris Brown, Miss USA Rima Fakih and Swizz Beatz. It was Fabolus and Trey Songz, however, who witnessed the flaming hair as they were hosting live from the suite's bathroom, where the model was sitting pretty in the tub but just a little too close to some candles. Luckily she thought fast and dunked her hair out in the bathtub water, but somehow the Fire Department got called and Diddy got a talking to.
Bad Diddy. Don't you know that NYC hotels and open flames (especially in the vicinity of weaves) don't play nicely together?
The Madison & Vine restaurant at The Library Hotel was jam-packed last night, literally, as two taxis slammed into the front of the restaurant about 9pm.
Fortunately, no one was hurt but the restaurant got pretty banged up. It's not quite the quiet experience you hope for when staying at the Library Hotel where 6,000 volumes of books are organized throughout the hotel by the Dewey Decimal System. But maybe those bookworms needed a little excitement in their lives.
The restaurant will be closed until the damage is fixed but in the meantime, guests staying at the hotel can still take their complimentary breakfast and evening wine reception in the second floor lounge as usual. There's also the Bookmarks lounge on the 14th floor which is open for drinks to guests and nonguests from 4pm to 12am Monday-Saturdays.
Another shot of the crash is after the jump.
As if the elevator free fall at the Paris Las Vegas hotel wasn't enough drama for the week, a car with four teens in it fell off the second story of a parking garage at the Stratosphere Hotel yesterday.
The incident happened just after 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon at the Stratosphere Hotel parking garage. All four teenage girls were taken to University Medical Center with minor injuries including fractures, broken bones, cuts, and bruises. There are reports the driver is 17 and didn't even have a driver's license. The other three passengers all under 18. Police are still attempting to figure out what happened.
Double yikes. While we're freaked out about these events in Sin City yesterday, we feel as if this is barely scratching the surface of accidents and scary incidents that happen in Vegas on a given day.
The elevator dropped roughly fifteen floors before the brake system kicked in and slowly lowered the people inside to the fourteenth.
Officials say once they secured the elevator, crews went through the shaft, cut through the elevator wall and opened the door to get the passengers out.
One 60-year-old woman complained of lower back pain, but was treated at the scene.
No one else was injured.
We realize this could have been way worse and we are actually quite relieved to hear that these elevators come with brake systems. But still, Paris better give those people rooms for free for a year.
The Marriott Biscayne Bay in downtown has been evacuated after a crane accident injured a construction worker yesterday.
The AP reports:
Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Ignatius Carroll says the arm extending from the crane became loose, but did not collapse or fall. A worker who was midway up the 212-foot crane was hospitalized with a broken arm. It was not clear how the worker was hurt.
The hotel was evacuated as a precaution. The Marriott is a tall high-rise building and is connected to the to Omni Mall by skywalk. Recent reviews called the hotel dated causing us to think maybe the construction work was for hotel renovations. Yet the Miami Fire rescue says the construction work was possible being done on a pier.