Tag: Guess The HotelView All Tags
It's time for another rousing rendition of Guess The Hotel! Here's how it works--we give you some hotel hints, you drop your guesses in comments below and we'll tell you if you're right or wrong next week. And away we go!
We already knew donuts were all the rage in the culinary world but in the hotel world? Not so much. Yet this hotel is putting donuts on the guest room pillows...so to speak. Here are some other hints about this hip hotel:
· The surrounding area feels not just like another city, but another country.
· The donuts on the pillow may not be real but the pastries served in the cafe downstairs--the first cafe from a beloved native chef--are TO.DIE.FOR. Chocolate brownie topped with marshmallows, anyone?
· The hotel is currently working on a rooftop pool and restaurant from the same chef, who also opened a cheekily-named restaurant at the hotel.( If we were to say the name of the chef or the restaurant, we would be giving it all away.)
· Most of the decor in the hotel is incredible, taking everyday items and transforming them into sculptures, wallpaper, and seriously cool furnishings.
· There is free WiFi everywhere throughout the hotel.
Think you know what hotel we're hinting at? Drop your guesses in comments below!
It's time for yet another rousing rendition of GUESS THE HOTEL! Here's how it works--we put up a picture of a hotel we recently visited along with a few hints below. You drop your guesses in the comments section and we'll reveal the hotel later in the week.
For this edition of Guess the Hotel, we head across the pond where we found BACON JAM in the minibar. Quite unusual. Here are some other funky things we noticed and loved about the hotel:
· There is a portrait of a woman wearing toilet paper on her head in the room.
· The toiletries were very masculine-smelling which was actually quite nice.
· The WiFi was totally free.
· The restaurant downstairs might just be THE place to eat these days. If you can't snag a reservation, no worries there are three other places to hang out and have a drink.
Think you might know what hotel we're hinting at? Well, we'll give you one last hint. We may have mentioned the hotel in the copy above. Just sayin'. Drop your guesses in comments below!
We haven't played Guess the Hotel for quite some time so allow us to liven up your wintry Friday afternoon with a new edition. You know the rule--we drop some hints, you drop your guesses in comments below. And away we go!
Recently, we toured an iconic hotel in a popular warm-weather destination that completed a major renovation a little over a month ago. While the bones of the structure remain, the inside has been gloriously updated to reflect the needs of today's modern traveler, as evidenced by these shining new iMacs in the Yabu Pushelberg-designed lobby. Here are some more hints to get you guessing:
· The hotel has an incredible location along a main drag that fronts the ocean.
· There's been a recent management change at the hotel, although branding from the previous operators is still lingering.
· On certain weekday mornings, a crowd sits in the lobby to hear about the hotel's architectural history.
· Once upon a time, P. Diddy threw a party here with penguins.
Ok, we probably just gave it away with that last hint but still, test your hotel knowledge by submitting your guess in comments below! We'll reveal the full monty on Monday!
With its brass fixtures and pseudo-candle bedside lamps, this long-awaited new hotel is obviously playing off its history -- and quite a history it is. The building is more than 100 years old and (among many other luminaries) was once home to a certain beat writer.
To borrow a term from a recent festival that celebrated this street, we are feeling pretty positive about the local area's resurgence. Besides this new boutique hotel, several restaurants and a certain cult coffee company have recently opened on the same street.
We have a bit of a different version of Guess the Hotel for you today: rather than giving you a few clues about one specific property, we’re putting your hotel knowledge to the test based on the above skyline shot of Singapore for a game of Name The Hotel. How many of them can you spot?
From left to right, we have two hotels that share a common background, and will soon be connected by an underground tunnel. We then have one that will be easy to miss, two that also have a bit of a connection (bonus points for knowing the rebranding that happened here and how it relates to yet another hotel nearby that can’t been in this photo), and finally a cluster of hotels, some of which you could see by their name proudly shown on the exterior if you were closer. All in all, there should be at least ten to list.
Bonus points for adding what is just out of frame on the right, something we talked about last week. One more picture from the roof of one of the hotels can be found after the jump. To the comments with your guesses!
Guess The Hotel / Thailand Hotels / Chiang Mai Hotels / Le Meridien Hotels / Starwood Hotels / → All Tags
Wow, we were quite impressed with the responses from our most recent, Guess The Hotel. Not only because we had a few contenders in the game, but we also had a winner! The hotel that uses their key cards as framed art in the lobby is Le Meridien Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Since we headed to the Northern Thai city for Songkran, the country's new year celebrations, the unique display caught our eyes while heading back to our room to change out of the soggy clothes we were in. When the streets and anybody walking on them got super soaked, we knew that we could escape into the comfort of our hotel with its opulent lobby and comfy rooms.
Even though the streets got hectic, we always received a warm smile and Sawatdee ka/krab from any of the staff and even were handed fluffy towels to dry off before we headed to the elevator. The one thing that stood out here was how welcoming the staff was, thanking us for coming to Chiang Mai and even providing personal cell-phone numbers to offer assistance during our stay. Truly an above and beyond experience.
We've been in some hotels that take their art very seriously and some that prefer to make the design as minimalist as possible. But recently, we came across some cool framed art hanging in the lobby of our hotel using different variations of their room-keys to create a larger, more interesting object d'art. If this isn't reason enough to open your eyes when rushing from the front desk, to the elevators, to your room, we don't know what is.
Upon check-in, the hotel gives you a randomly selected card with very little knowledge that it's part of the larger picture in four different series. Once we saw the other cards, we were immediately envious of the other keys, but didn't have the guts to ask for a cooler one; you're not supposed to keep them, remember! It did give us the idea that it would make for a fun Guess The Hotel entry.
See if you can figure out where we were from the clues below. If you think you know, take a guess in the comments section and we will reveal the hotel's identity next week.
Here are your hints...ready go!
· The hotel is mix of East and West, considering the brand and location.
· It is one of few major international hotels in the city as well as one of the tallest buildings in the city's 'skyline'.
· The city itself is considered one of UNESCO's 'Creative Cities' which fits well with their use of key card art.
· With a perfect proximity to the local Night Bazaar, there is most certainly nothing bizarre about the warm service and iconic smiles you get here.
Hotel Openings / Hotel News / Hotel Lobbies / Guess the Hotel / Hotel Design / Hyatt Hotels / Manhattan Hotels / → All Tags
It's Guess The Hotel revealed!
Better late than never, as they say. And we will go ahead and say it about the Hyatt Union Square, which (finally) made its big debut last week in lower Manhattan—about, oh, twenty months behind schedule.
But that's okay, because after taking a quick look inside, we're happy to report that locals (and guests) seem to have already taken kindly to the new hotel. Just days after opening, the lobby scene was abuzz with guests spread out on the white sofas, bartenders pouring drinks, and the healthy 'ding' of elevator doors sliding open.
Though it's not open yet, we could spy the hotel's South American-inspired restaurant, which officially opens May 15, and which will feature a dramatic wooden art installation, made of discarded bed frames, hanging from the ceiling (the sculpture is visible from the lobby).
And speaking of weird art hanging from the ceiling, in case you haven't already guessed, the mystery hotel we showed you yesterday with the strange turd-looking objects hanging over the bar is in fact the Hyatt Union Square.
Read on to see another photo from the lobby!
Occasionally, we come across some questionable hotel art that makes us wonder if the idea is actually to ward off guests rather than lure them in. That's how we felt after spotting this "dangling turd" feature inside a new hotel lobby bar. We stuck around just long enough to take this photo, and luckily managed to get out without one of them dropping on our head.
But rather than just come out and say it, we thought it would be more fun for you to Guess The Hotel!
You know the drill: take a close look at the photo, read our hints (below), and see if anything rings a bell. Then, when you think you've figured out the hotel, jot down your answer in the comments below. (And sorry, no life lines.)
Your hints are as follows..
· This is a brand new hotel, located in a major city, and it only started taking reservations this month.
· Prior to its opening, we had previously examined some quirky design features in the guest rooms.
· Though this hotel is run by a major chain, the feel is more boutique-y.
· The bar (where this photo was taken) shares the lobby floor with a South American-influenced restaurant. One could also go so far as to say this is a place where people unite.
We thought we'd start off the week with a round of Guess the Hotel—something fun and light-hearted to ease you back into the exciting world of hotel shenanigans after your peaceful, relaxing weekend.
Recently, we found ourselves inside the suite of a hotel whose name is inspired by Mother Nature. Inside that suite, one of the first things that caught our eye was this fantastic novelty furniture piece: a coffee table with a flippable surface that allows it to switch between a checkers board, a backgammon board, or just a plain old red table. Being master checkers champions since the wee age of 5, we decided to leave the table just the way we found it.
Now! It's time for you to guess the hotel. Here are your hints, including the ones we've already generously provided:
· The geography of the area surrounding this hotel (located in the US) has a lot to do with its name.
· This hotel is made up of 70 suites and rooms—58 of which all contain the red-painted checkers board table.
· When you're not playing checkers in your room, you're likely to be sitting out by the pool, flipping through e-magazines and news sites on the free iPads that are loaned out to guests.
· Next to the gorgeous tree-lined inner courtyard (which was recently renovated, and contains an outdoor swimming pool) is the hotel's fine dining restaurant, run by a chef with not one but two Michelin stars under his belt.
· If having an ocean view from your room or suite isn't your idea of fun, then this hotel is probably not for you.
Submit your answers here, and be sure to check back later in the week for the big reveal!
Here it is! Another installment of our favorite game--Guess the Hotel. These are the rules--We post a snapshot of a hotel somewhere around the world along with a few hints. You put your guesses in comments below and we'll have the big reveal on Monday.
· This place was made for families from the playground in the lobby to the child-height peepholes.
· Staying here gives you access to the nearby theme park an hour before it opens.
· Every room category can comfortably sleep five people.
· There's a disco elevator. For real.
Think you know what hotel we're hinting at? Then drop you guess in comments below!
Well, we'll assume we stumped you with last week's edition of Guess the Hotel. None of you could guess! We gave you some killer clues and a damn-good picture of one hungry hot tub, but now we'll help you out: That oasis belongs to the Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande in Cabo San Lucas.
The rooftop pool club is only available to guests of The Ridge, which offers one, two, or three bedroom villas with full kitchens and living rooms. There's also a restaurant and infinity pool overlooking the property/ocean (along with another hungry hot tub, see photo).
We know that downtown Cabo San Lucas screams puke and rally, but you really can have a luxurious experience outside of the hotel corridor - we swear.
Oh, the two bodies of water that converge are the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean. The famous rock structure is the arch of Los Cabos, and The Ridge is one of five Solmar properties grouped on the southwest side of the harbor. Rates start at $308 a night.
[Photos: Will McGough for Hotel Chatter]