Opening This Month: New Hotels for August 2014
Finding a hotel room is easy. Simply go on the Internet or use your smartphone and voila! You're booked.
But if you are only interested in new hotels, then that's a different story. Luckily, you have us. And we're obsessed with new hotels. Here's a list of hotels that have opened or are opening this month (and a few that aren't going to make it.) Got a new hotel to add? Send it to us!
HOTELS OPENING IN AUGUST 2014
· THE PARK HYATT NEW YORK: The global flagship for the Park Hyatt brand will open on August 19 in a brand new luxury skyscraper across from Carnegie Hall and just a block from Central Park. You can sneak a peek at a studio suite here. If you've got about $800 to spare, you can book a room for opening night. We'll have more on the rest of the hotel for you later today.
· THE SOHO HOUSE CHICAGO:
Located in the West Loop nabe in an old warehouse, the Soho House Chicago will open on August 11 with 40 rooms, ranging in sizes Small, Medium and Medium Plus. Small rooms start at $240 a night and include WiFi, complimentary tea & coffee and Cowshed toiletries. On site will also be a Cowshed Spa, a rooftop pool with al fresco dining, a 40-seat screening room, along with two restaurants imported from London and an all-day cafe for coffee, smoothies, pastries, etc.
· ELEMENT HOTEL HARRISON: At last, there will be a stylish and eco-friendly place to rest your head near Newark International Airport. Rates at The Element, which is the extended-stay spin-off brand of Westin Hotels, will start at $140 a night. We couldn't actually book rooms for opening night of August 21 so we suggest calling the hotel if you're looking to stay close to that date.
· SLS LAS VEGAS: SLS Hotels will emerge on August 23 from the loins of iconic Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas on August 23, bringing new life and glamour (and plenty of places to eat, drink and party) to a long-deserted part of the Strip. You can check out what to "see, like and savor" right here. Meanwhile, rooms start at just $81 a night on August 25, after the opening party shenanigans are done.
· THE GOODLAND HOTEL, a Kimpton Hotel: After a slight delay, Kimpton Hotels' second hotel for Santa Barbara will open on August 26 with rooms going for $199 a night. Just know that the hotel is actually in neighboring Goleta. If you want to be closer to the SB action, try Kimpton's Canary Hotel instead.
· FOUR SEASONS ORLANDO AT DISNEY WORLD: We've talked about this at length but in case you can't understand what this is about--Mickey + Luxury Hotel = Happy Parents + Happy Kids. Rooms start around $500 a night.
· THE PENINSULA PARIS: Got a $1,000 laying around and not sure what to do with it? Book a room at the Peninsula Paris. Then tell how us how it was.
· THE RIFF CHELSEA: The hotel is still in the process of transistioning from the old Chelsea Star but already its 80s themed nostalgia rooms are going for a hefty price. We found a superior room for $349 for this Friday, with a note that said "You may have to use stairs to access this room." A single room with a shared bathroom was going for $225. We love the 80s but not that much.
COMING UP: We're anxiously awaiting the opening of Moxy Milan and the Delano Las Vegas on September 1. Element Hotels will also be opening another hotel at Frankfurt airport on that day. Mondrian London is aiming for a September 30 opening date but will we finally sleep with a Virgin in Chicago? We won't get our hopes up.