Opening This Month: New Hotels for May 2014
Finding a hotel room is easy. Simply go on the Internet or use your smartphone and voila! You're booked.
But if you are only interested in new hotels, then that's a different story. Luckily, you have us. And we're obsessed with new hotels. Here's a list of hotels that have opened or are opening this month (and a few that aren't going to make it.) Got a new hotel to add? Send it to us!
HOTELS OPENING IN MAY 2014
· SHANGRI-LA AT THE SHARD: Opening today! The hotel, which occupies the top floors of The Shard skyscraper, has just 59 rooms open with the rest to come online later in the summer (as will the pool on the 52nd floor and some specialty suites.) Deluxe city view rooms start at $895 a night and include breakfast and WiFi. Stay tuned for more from inside the hotel later today!
· RITZ-CARLTON RANCHO MIRAGE: Due to open at last on May 15, the newest Ritz-Carlton will have 244 guestrooms, starting with “Resort View” rooms at 450 square feet, along with two restaurants, a Ritz-Carlton club lounge, a spa and several specialty suites. Rates start at just $219 a night.
· THE ARCHER: As we told you yesterday, The Archer will finally stop being so darn mysterious on May 28. However, rooms on the hotel's website are only open for June 15 and beyond. We hope that changes. Rates start at $259 for a Classic King.
· THE BRICE HOTEL: This new Kimpton hotel in Savannah is due to open on May 20. Already, there's a grand opening offer that includes 15 percent off the room rate and two drinks at the Pacci Kitchen and Bar. Room rates start at $187 on opening night.
· SOFITEL SO SINGAPORE: As we told you back in February, the Sofitel So Singapore (whose emblem was designed by Karl Lagerfeld) will soft-open on May 31. Rooms feature
questionable bold design but also amazing goodies like Sofitel MyBeds, free WiFi, an Apple Mac mini, an iPad mini, and iPhone 5 for guest use. Rates on opening night start at $238USD for an advance purchase rate.
· RESIDENCE INN/COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT AT LA LIVE: We gave you a close-up look at this hybrid Marriott hotel in downtown LA yesterday but while the hotels' websites say the property will be opening this month, we don't have an exact date or room rate.
· Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: The newest Waldorf Astoria opened on May 1, just as we told you it would a few weeks ago. This Waldorf is spread across six historic town houses that date back to the 1600s on one of the city’s central canals with 93 rooms and suites. Rates start at a jaw-dropping 405 euros a night. Breakfast is 30 euros extra.
· Marriott Marquis Washington DC: The now-largest hotel in DC--with 1,175 rooms--also opened on May 1. Room rates start around $269 a night but you can check out some package deals here.
>· RADISSON BLU BANGKOK PLAZA: The newest Blu opened on May 1 as well with 290 rooms, including 20 Junior suites, three executive suites, and one Royal Deluxe Suite, all with free WiFi. There's also several restaurant and lounge options on site. Room rates start $87USD a night.
NOT GONNA MAKE IT
· HOMEWOOD SUITES NYC: Close but not quite a May opening. The first Homewood Suites for NYC will open in Times Square on June 1.
Ham Yard Hotel: The flagship hotel for Firmdale Hotels will also open when May is out, on June 1.
[Photos: HotelChatter; Ritz-Carlton; HotelChatter; The Brice; Sofitel SO; HotelChatter; Waldorf Astoria; Marriott Marquis; Radisson Blue; Homewood Suites and Firmdale Hotels