The interiors of Barcelo Raval are chock full of verve and must have been fun to design. In the lobby especially, there are so many seemingly unrelated parts to this visual and textural extravaganza, you really have to stand back and take it all in. It is a look that is hard to put a label on -- the hotel refers to is as "urban chic" -- like we said, it is hard to define. Whatever style this represents, it originated from a team of freethinking interior designers at Jordi Gali Estudi.
Rather than attempting to explain the "why" of the things we are seeing -- because we cannot explain them -- we can point and wonder about some of the prominent features of this design.
Here is our list of the 5 funkiest things about the lobby at Barcelo Raval:
1. The stringy ceiling -- most unusual, must be tough to dust;
2. The electric raspberry accent color -- also comes in electric purple;
3. The jumbo lamp shades with the historic pattern (and color) more akin to Downton Abbey;
4. The horsie lamp sculpture -- and there are other animals in the house;
5. The glittery circular wall with the cutout, booth style seating -- kinda night clubby but certain to attract night clubbers
Rooms from $208 Photo: Hotel Barcelo Raval
Rooms from $208
Photo: Hotel Barcelo Raval