· Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort: Yvonne Biegel is now the director of public relations of the 40-acre, beachfront resort destination on Maui. Biegel joins a new management team at Grand Wailea including recently appointed managing director, Tom Donovan and director of sales and marketing, Scott Boyer. Most recently, Biegel served as the president and owner of her own company Yvonne Biegel & Associates, LLC, a boutique public relations and marketing communications agency on Maui, where she represented luxury hospitality, food and beverage, and consumer brands.
· Carlson Hotels: Matt Zaruba has been named as chief information security officer for Carlson. He will report directly to Steve Brown, chief information and innovation officer at Carlson. Zaruba will lead the company’s information security strategies to create and maintain an environment that safeguards the assets, confidential information and intellectual property of Carlson. Most recently, Zaruba served as director, Information Security and Disaster Recovery for Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.
· The Somerset on Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos: Urmas Karner is now the new general manager of the five-star luxury resort on Grace Bay. Karner was appointed by the Board of Directors and will oversee all areas of operations at the 53 villa and suite luxury resort. While Karner has plenty of luxury hotel experience on the island of Manhattan, The Somerset on Grace Bay in Providenciales will be his first posting in the Caribbean.
· W Atlanta – Buckhead: Tim Dahlen is the new general manager for the W Atlanta-Buckhead. Dahlen has spent the last 13 years in Atlanta holding executive level positions within the Starwood portfolio and has served as general manager at Sheraton Buckhead, Westin Atlanta North and Westin Buckhead. Most recently he was the opening general manager at the new W Atlanta - Downtown.
· Lancaster London: Sally Beck has been promoted to General Manager at Lancaster London. She will now overseee the operation of one of the largest banqueting hotels in Europe, which can cater for up to 3,000 guests. The hotel also has 416 guest rooms with views over Hyde Park, plus two restaurants, Island Grill and Nipa Thai. Previously Sally held the position of Hotel Manager at Lancaster London.
· Grand Residences Riviera Cancun: Carlo Bicaci is the new general manager at the new, all-suite resort just outside of Cancun. Most recently, he oversaw the launches of the following world-renowned hotels and restaurants: Brasserie Lipp in Mexico City; Gloutonnerie in Miami Beach; Anticavilla Hotel in Cuernavaca, Mexico; and Quattro Gastronomia Italiana at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City Santa Fe.
· Loews Hollywood Hotel: Brian D. Johnson has been named the new general manager of the Loews Hollywood Hotel, which will complete its full re-branding and renovation in March. In his new role, Johnson will oversee day-to-day operations at the hotel including managing the hotel’s 632 rooms and 115 suites, in addition to the lobby, 120,000 square feet of meeting space and restaurant, Preston's. Previously, Johnson was the GM at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort.
· Laucala Island: Andrew Thomson was appointed general manager of this private island resort in Fiji on January 15. A Fiji-native and veteran of the luxury hospitality industry, Thomson has more than 45 years of experience as an international hotelier, most recently serving the last 15 years as Amanresort’s Director of Operations and Managing Director.
· Bernardus Lodge & Spa: Noble House Hotels & Resorts, Ltd. (NHHR), a collection of luxury hotels and resorts, have appointed Tom Glidden as general manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa in scenic Carmel Valley. As general manager, Glidden will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the lodge, while maximizing company revenue. Glidden joins Bernardus Lodge & Spa most recently from Seven Gables Inn, in Pacific Grove, Calif. Glidden has twice been named Hospitality Professional of the Year, from both Carmel Innkeepers Association and the Monterey County Hospitality Association.
· Delano Las Vegas: Mandalay Bay have named Matthew Chilton has the general manager of the upcoming Delano Las Vegas, the all-suite hotel that will replace the existing theHOTEL property. Chilton joined Mandalay Bay as Hotel Manager prior to the resort’s 1999 grand opening. Most recently, he served as Vice President of Hotel Operations and played a significant role in the property-wide transformation which included the introduction of Michael Jackson ONE by Cirque du Soleil, Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar By Akira Back, Citizens Kitchen & Bar, Rx Boiler Room, DAYLIGHT Beach Club, LIGHT Nightclub and the remodel of Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas.
· Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve: George Sotelo has been appointed general manager of the ultra-luxury resort in Puerto Rico which opened December 2012 as the first Ritz-Carlton Reserve property in North America. A seasoned hospitality professional, Sotelo joins Dorado Beach after seven years as Hotel Manager of the One&Only Palmilla in Los Cabos, Mexico. In addition to various executive roles, he also served as Managing Director for the Trump Hotel Collection in Miami.
· Hotel Vitale: David Lemmond was recently named general manager of the Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel and San Francisco’s only waterfront luxury hotel. Prior to joining Commune Hotels, Lemmond oversaw the flagship The Standard, High Line. He is the former General Manager of The Standard, Downtown LA and The Standard Spa, Miami Beach – each was launched by Lemmond and his team. He's also managed other luxury boutique hotels in the Los Angeles-area such as The Chamberlain, Viceroy Santa Monica and Shutters on the Beach.
· Turtle Bay Resort: Jeffrey Perkins is now resort manager of Oahu's fabled North Shore resort. Perkins has served as director of operations at the resort since September 2012. He previously held management roles at major luxury hospitality brands and landmark resorts throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
SALES & MARKETING
· Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista: Jamie Jordan, a 23-year hospitality and convention sales veteran is now director of sales and marketing for the Walt Disney World Resort. She will be responsible for directing a sales team of 10 managers as well as managing the sales and marketing operations for the hotel. Most recently, Jordan served as director of group sales at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale.
· Rosewood Hotel Georgia: Khaled Al-Idrissi has been appointed Director of Sales & Marketing for this Vancouver luxury hotel. Khaled began his career with Rosewood in 2007 as director of sales for Al Faisaliah Hotel, A Rosewood Hotel and Hotel Al Khozama, A Rosewood Hotel in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia before being promoted to director of sales & marketing for both hotels in 2009. Most recently, he held the position of regional director of sales for the Middle East and North Africa, overseeing the development of the region’s annual sales plan and execution.
· Dorsett Shepherds Bush: Dorsett Hospitality International has appointed Declan Murphy as Director of Sales and Marketing for the group’s first hotel venture in Europe, set to open in May 2014. Declan will be responsible for driving business to Dorsett Shepherds Bush in the competitive London market and heading up the global PR and marketing campaign for the property. Before joining Dorsett Hospitality International, Declan directed the Sales and Marketing programme at the Dhillon Group, a privately owned collection of three luxury boutique hotels – Stoke Place, The Olde Bell and The Crown, located on the outskirts of London.
· The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Stacey Ogden has been named as Corporate Director of Marketing for the Newport, Rhode Island hotel. In her new role, Ogden will develop and execute multi-channel brand marketing and promotional strategies for the luxury boutique hotel that support brand growth while increasing consumer awareness of the brand. Most recently, Ogden was the Director of Marketing at Patriot Place, The Kraft Group in Foxboro, Massachusetts where she developed and managed their annual marketing and advertising strategy and budget and helped generate brand awareness by leveraging and utilizing internal Kraft Group assets (New England Patriots, New England Revolution, Stadium Concerts).
FOOD & BEVERAGE
· Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto: Filippo La Mantia has been appointed Executive Chef of this luxury hotel in Rome. Born in Palermo, Sicily, Filippo La Mantia settled in Rome and has extensive experience in the industry. In his new position, he will run the hotel’s two main restaurants ‘Magnolia’ and ‘Time’, ensuring consistent high quality food and service. In 2007 Filippo’s book ‘Host & Chef’ was published and his career has also inspired a film called ‘All the Women of My Life,’ which includes an account his role as chef to the well-known Italian actor Luca Zingaretti.
· Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach: Dewey LoSasso has been named Executive Chef of the ultra-luxury resort in Florida. LoSasso will oversee and reconceptualize the food and beverage program. He comes to Acqualina Resort & Spa from the legendary Forge Restaurant, where he most recently served as executive chef of the Miami Beach landmark restaurant and was named Miami New Times Best Chef in 2010.
· SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills: Holly Jivin was appointed Chef de Cuisine for the The Bazaar by José Andrés restaurant at the SLS. Prior to her new title, Jivin served as The Bazaar’s Sous Chef, working closely with departing Chef de Cuisine, Joshua Whigham, to manage the restaurant’s day-to-day kitchen operations. Additionally, she served as the Head Chef of SAAM, the intimate chef’s tasting room located within The Bazaar, where she worked alongside the Research & Development chefs of Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup. She has also been with the restaurant since its opening in 2008.
· Loews Hollywood Hotel: Mark Leighton Ching is now the Executive Chef at the soon-to-be-rebranded Loews Hollywood. Ching’s culinary offerings for the Loews Hollywood Hotel will focus on preparations that highlight the ingredients and evoke emotion in the dining experience. His role at the hotel will span curating menus for both the new lobby bar and Preston’s Restaurant along with revamping the catering and in-room dining offerings. Most recently, Ching served as Executive Chef at the Loews Coronado Bay, and Loews Lake Las Vegas Resorts.
· Lancaster London: Stephen Rey is now Executive Chef at Lancaster London. In his new role Stephen will oversee the kitchens of the hotel, which is one of the largest banqueting venues in Europe. Lancaster London is also passionate about sustainability, offering nose-to-tail dining to up to 3,000 guests. Since joining the Lancaster London in March 2013, Stephen has provided mentoring, coaching and succession planning to The Culinary department. Prior to this position he worked for Hilton Hotels in Denver.