6. Sickness: This editor once holed up in a hotel room in Amsterdam with a dreadful head cold. I didn’t leave the room for two days and I went through multiple boxes of tissues and when things got dire, some toilet paper. But that was just a head cold. I was totally fine after those two days. Yet I’ve heard people being knocked out by flus and other viruses for a week or more in hotels. And I won’t mention food poisoning. Alright, I just did. That happens too.
7. Sloppy Housekeeping: It is one thing to have a room with poorly made bed (learn how to make it the right way here!) but we’ve heard horror stories of housekeepers who use your toothbrush to clean the toilets, Windex to “clean” the drinking cups and a toilet brush to scrub the tub. After all this nasty stuff we’ve mentioned that goes on in hotel rooms, you gotta hope you’re in a hotel with a respectable housekeeping staff.
8. Babies: We’re not talking about babies being born in hotel rooms, although, we’re sure that happens too. No, we’re talking about changing poopie diapers on the bed, bathing poopie butts in the bathroom sink, messy feedings at the desk, split breastmilk on the nightstand, throw up on the floor and more. Seriously, if you think about some of the stuff that goes on with babies in hotel rooms you may want to run to an adults-only Caribbean resort pronto.
9. Pets: Pets and babies are more alike than you think, except pets can leave their dander everywhere after they check-out. Not to mention pee or poop behind the curtains. Or bring in fleas. Luckily, most hotels charge pet owners a non-refundable cleaning fee but beware of the ones that don’t.
10. Theft: When your stuff gets stolen from your hotel room it’s almost like you got robbed twice. You paid money to stay in this hotel and you got ripped off while doing so. Here are a few ways to keep your stuff safe during your stay. But that doesn’t apply to the folks who stay in hotel rooms, just so they can steal the artwork. Oh yeah, people really do that.
11. Athletes: Have you ever smelled a hockey bag? You know, one filled with all the equipment of an ice hockey player? It’s the kind of smell that will either cause you to pass out with one whiff or else, cut down your will to live. But hockey players and other athletes--both professional and amateur--often stay in hotels, throwing their equipment and sweaty uniforms all over the room. But then again, if they just air-dry their spandex in the bathroom or let their equipment bag fester in the closet, that’s nothing compared to what these football players once did.
12. Celebrities: Speaking of badly behaved guests, celebrities are always trashing their hotel rooms, “rearranging” the furniture in some way or just being a general nuisance. Here are some examples: Charlie Sheen defiled The Plaza. Lindsay Lohan left cigarette burns all over the W Union Square. Amanda Bynes disabled a smoke detector at the Ritz-Carlton Central Park. Kanye West got loud at the Lanesborough in London. Florence Welch set fire to her room at the Bowery. David Arquette was too noisy at the Mondrian Hollywood and Dennis Rodman...well, where hasn't Dennis Rodman caused a scene? The list of celebs behaving badly in hotels goes on and on here.
13. Bedbugs You can tell if someone's been smoking in the hotel room before you. You can catch the dirty hairs in the shower. You can see if the housekeeper did a poor job of making the bed but you can't see the bed bugs. Most likely, you won't even know the bed bugs got you until you're back home, covered in little red welts and globbing on Cortizone by the gallon. But it's too late. Call the doctor then send us your scathing review.