HotelChatter Flashback: What the Hotel WiFi Options Were Like in 2004
It's time for a walk down memory lane with a HotelChatter flashback!
Way back in 2004, HotelChatter put together its first ever WiFi Report. Check out who made the first annual Best and Worst Hotel WiFi lists.
· Kimpton Hotels (still doing it free for their InTouch members)
· Omni Hotels (still doing it free for their Omni Select Guest members)
· Marriott's Residence Inn (still free!)
· Best Western (still free!)
· Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Express (still free!)
· Marriott Hotels (free in lobbies, most charge in-room, except if you are an elite member of their loyalty program)
· Fairmont Hotels (free for members of their President's Club)
· Hilton Hotels (free in lobbies, most charge in-room except if you are an elite member of their loyalty program)
· Hyatt Hotels (still charges for WiFi except if you are an elite member of their loyalty program)
· Any other hotel that charges for WiFi in the lobby (plenty of hotels still do this, particularly if you aren't a hotel guest.
We've come a long ways from this report. Today, most hotels readily offer WiFi and thankfully, most hotels are offering it for free. About 64 percent of hotels if you want to get scientific about it. But clearly the next frontier is speed--who offers the fastest WiFi--as well as bandwidth. Can we stream movies on our laptop while working on our iPad and Instagramming on our iPhone? All for free? That is the new WiFi question.
[Photo of dial-up modem via Flickr]