But back to that lobby bar at The Ace...
Being frequent users of HotelTonight ourselves, and curious for its continued expansion, we fired off a few questions at Sam.
· Will HotelTonight be adding a loyalty program of its own? Nope.
· Will they stray from their mobile-only focus to add a booking website? Nope.
· Will they be ending the $25 sign-up/referral bonus? Nope.
Three negatives and yet all positive, really. Sam has a sip of some Stumptown coffee before divulging a few things you can expect from HT in the future:
· Will HotelTonight be coming to WindowsPhone? Yep.
· Will the app continue to add cities? Yep, of course, and for the summer there'll be a focus on nice vacation destinations within easy driving distance of urban centers (and therefore ideal for spontaneous overnight getaways). A prime example would be Newport, RI (already on the app).
· Will HT try to get more rooms during special events, like the Super Bowl? Yep, says Sam. In fact they were so successful during the Super Bowl that they sold out in 20 minutes, despite the rooms going for $1,000 a pop. Fingers crossed for Coachella coming up soon, and Lollapalooza later in summer.
We suppose congratulations are in order, though not for the fact they've nearly cracked 4 million app downloads, but because Sam Shank admitted his parents have finally used the app to book a hotel night in Washington, D.C. And if there's one sure way to know the moment a new technology has "made it," it's the day your parents get intrigued.