The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach has a dedicated Art Basel Ambassador who is ever at the ready to help guests navigate their way through the plethora of parties, exhibits and all things Basel. In fact, Noel Lanzas even puts together an Art Basel Bible each year so that both neophytes and steadfast Basel-goers can navigate their way through the hundreds of events that take place. The hotel also has a $2M contemporary art collection and eight new pieces will be brought out for Art Basel (and will be projected several storeys up on the hotel's façade). Noel can lead you on a tour of the collection AND get you into the choicest parties.
The Sagamore Hotel is hosting a property-wide installation for art aficionados entitled Framing the Moving Image, curated by film and media art curator, John Handart. The installation will mix styles and genres of different artists to create some pretty nifty stuff, including a site-specific piece by Bill Beirne called Interstices, where the artist collaborates with a Miami-based dance company to choreograph a series of live performances that re-enact normal-type stuff one does. These pretty private moments are captured on surveillance cameras located around the hotel and voyeuristically projected on a widescreen video monitor in the lobby.
MORE ART BASEL PARTIES TO CHECK OUT
· The Shore Club: The private Beach House at the Shore Club will be taken over by Art magazine Juxtapoz as they present a series of installations in partnership with San Francisco’s Chandran Gallery. Bootsy Bellows, a Hollywood nightclub, will also set up shop in the Redroom nightly at 10pm while NYC's The Hole Gallery will stage its annual concert poolside on Wednesday night.
· The Mondrian South Beach: Le Baron, the hottest annual late-night party of the festival will do its first ever bay front pool party, Le Baron Does Daytime at Mondrian South Beach everyday from Wednesday to Sunday. The Paris-based luxury concept store, Colette, will also feature a drive-thru popup store here. And if the fair gets too stressful, you can do daily Sunset Yoga with Grey Area and lululemon here from 4pm Wednesday-Friday daily at the pool.
· The Delano: This hotel will be the spot to party. While all three Morgans Hotels (Shore Club, Mondrian and Delano) will be hosting daily events at their hotels, Delano will be the place for the nightlife. The Butter Group will bring their NYC nightclub, 1 OAK, to FDR at Delano on Thursday and Friday at 11pm. The hotel will also celebrate 20 years of WuTang Clan (what? 20 years???) with a charity cocktail event to benefit Smile Design Gallery on Thursday before this. Every night in the Rose Bar, DJ Lo Lo will be spinning from 9pm to Midnight as part of Whiskey Week. Meanwhile, the hotel will also feature artist Michael Benisty's 12-foot tall gold plated Dragon sculpture that will be showcased in the Orchard daily.
· The Betsy: Recently named one of 14 hotels inspired by literature by CNN, The Besty is featuring poetry this Art Basel, which is rather unusual. But this poetry will be a collection of digital broadsides produced by filmmaker Juan Carlos Zaldivar. The poetry, words and images will emanate from the Betsy gallery annex and illuminate the ‘Ocean Court’ walkway that connects Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue. The Betsey has even picked an official poem of Basel 2013--Hyam Plutzik’s poem ‘I Imagined a Painter Painting Such a World. This will be given to guests attending events and openings at the hotel along with a Spanish translation by Jose Villar Porteya (“Imaginé un Pintor Pintado un Mundo Tal”).
· W South Beach: The hotel has added new artwork to its public spaces including pieces by Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat (the hotel often features killer artwork, not just when Basel is in town.) Also, the W announced a partnership with Detroit emerging artist, Doug Schwartz. All guests during Art Basel will take home a complimentary skull tablet stand by Schwartz. The hand poured resin skull-shaped tablet stand is topped with a flashy metallic finish and holds your iPad, tablet or mobile phone (or even sunglasses) upright, encompassing both functionality and clean design.
· SLS South Beach: On Saturday at 2pm, Hyde Beach at The SLS will host "Miami’s wildest day to night party." XIV Sessions is billed as a "recurring and imaginative party series" whose motto is "Save Water, Spray Champagne." In store for Hyde is all the regular XIV party debauchery while Hyde's sexy servers will walk around in eclectic couture creations inspired by art. Even the SLS' iconic giant rubber ducky is getting in the Art Basel party spirit. Artist Alexander Mijares has transformed the ducky into a colorful canvas-wrapped Mijares masterpiece. You can see the transformation here. Guests who attend the party will also get to party with hundreds of floating rubber duckies all painted with Mjiares's artwork. Make your party reservations by phone at 305.674.1701 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Know of a hotel doing something cool for Art Basel in Miami Beach? Let us know and we'll add it to the list!
[Photos: Art Basel 2012/Tumblr-Fin DAC/The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach/Pinterest-The Sagamore Art Basel 2012]