Fireworks Cause Damage at Ritzy One & Only Ocean Club
Last Saturday, there was a fire in paradise at the One & Only Ocean Club in the Bahamas. Ten of the resort's 104 have been shut down due to damage by the fire. (Those rooms were located in the Crescent Wing.)
The cause of the fire, according to hotel officials, is said to be under “investigation” but a local news source, Tribune 242, says the answer is very simple: an eyewitness told the publication the hotel’s “Big Bang” fireworks show is the culprit.
Apparently, every so often, the resort has a major fireworks extravaganza and that night the $16,000 display caused wooden shingles on a roof to catch fire. It was ablaze for about 25 minutes before staff noticed and attempted to extinguish it. Authorities eventually arrived at the hotel around 11:30 pm and took just minutes to put out the remaining flames.
See the online video of the fire, after the jump.
The eyewitness told Tribune 242:
“ The wind caused the fire to spread to the roof because the firework display was happening so close to the building. The roof of two blocks in the building, the 30s block and the 50s block, caught fire, he said, adding, “tourists were inside – 102 people had to be evacuated. Babies were there.”
Luckily no one was injured and guests were moved from the Ocean Club to The Reef at the Atlantis Resort and other hotels.
Will Crescent Wing rooms at the One & Only Ocean Club be ready in two weeks?
The official word from the resort is that it continues to be operational, save the damaged rooms, which are expected to restored by the beginning of the holiday high season. They must be optimistic as rates for a stay in the Crescent Wing two weeks from now begin at $1,400 per night!
[Photos Bahamas Press and One & Only Resorts]