Six Sydney Hotels With Killer Views of the Vivid Light Installations
The Park Hyatt, Sydney Harbour Marriott, and a view of the Opera House from the 22nd floor of the Four Seasons Sydney.
It's billed as a festival 'of light, music and ideas,' but to us hotel geeks, Vivid Sydney was all about killer views from the city's best hotel rooms--or the hotels themselves becoming a work of art.
The annual event kicked off on May 25 and has been drawing tourists and hardcore Sydneysiders alike to the harbour night after night--the festival runs until Monday, so if you find yourself down under, there's still time to check it out.
Here are the best hotels for Vivid light show-spotting:
1. Park Hyatt Sydney: She's back open--at a hefty cost--but with a front-row view of all the Vivid light action on the Bridge, the Opera House, and the city skyline. Right outside the hotel's front door is a piece called Deep Sea Diva, a giant chandelier adorned with more than 10,000 Swarovski crystals (it was built as the centerpiece for a special opera performance that took place on--yes, on--Sydney Harbour recently.)
2. Four Seasons Sydney: We can vouch for the killer views from the corner view rooms here personally. Last week, we threw open our blinds and the city came alive with color. The hotel itself is one of the buildings that gets the light treatment -- but it was the projections creeping across the iconic arches of the Opera House that had us mesmerized.
3. Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney: Located just up the hill a tiny bit from the Four Seasons, this recently refreshed hotel (with shockingly rare free WiFi) also has drop-dead gorgeous views of the lit-up Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Museum of Contemporary Art.
4. Sydney Harbour Marriott: Another hotel fresh from a redo--and another with killer harbour views. As you can see from the shot above, she also gets to take part in the Vivid fun first-hand.
5. Intercontinental Sydney: Some of the best views of the Harbour Bridge in the city.
6. Quay West Suites, Sydney: One of the buildings you stroll past on your way down to the Opera House, with great views looking across to the bridge and Vivid-colored hotels like Four Seasons across the way.
We'll have from inside some of Sydney's top hotels for you soon. Promise!
[Photos, clockwise from top left: Melissa Lane via Vivid website; ordinarygram/Instagram; HotelChatter]