I rang the front desk...once connected after four tries (thanks Operator) I explained our stinky situation.
The attendant apologized as if she was shocked, when in all actuality we weren't the only room this had happened in and then connected me to the manager. She again apologized profusely and proceeded to tell me about the renovations going on and how this has never happened before, yada yada yada.
She informed me housekeeping was on their way to take a gander of the mess. But first I needed her to know, not only was SHIT everywhere in our bathroom but in our toiletries, in my contact case, on our toothbrush and in my makeup bag.
Of course I couldn't blame her for this but a little more than a $50 comp and a new room would have been nice. Oh and once housekeeping came up to clean our things, she handed my boyfriend his toiletry bag that had been "cleaned: with shit still on it and my $300 watch that had also been "sanitized" still with dried feces on it. GROSS.
Now despite everything that had happened, there were some positives. They are:
1. We were upgraded to the newly renovated floors. Nice yet, nothing special. And I might add that "everyone is really excited about the new rooms" really means just the manager.
2. We ended up getting comped our entire stay, plus room service.
Still, I would not stay here again thanks to our shitty experience...literally.
We followed up with the hotel to get their side of the story. In calling the hotel directly, we were transferred to a hotel manager who said "Not to my knowledge" when we told him about the sewer explosion over the weekend.
However, we got in touch with the communications director for the hotel and its sister property, Agua Caliente, who said the incident (the first time it's ever happened at their hotel) was actually not related to the remodel but "due to some engineers trying to snake a drain on a lower floor." The pressure built up in the pipes above this floor, causing sewage to back up in the sinks. She elaborated saying:
Only four rooms were affected; two were occupied/booked. We immediately moved the guests to new rooms. Management is working to replace/reimburse the guests for their personal items that were affected. Clean up crews were called in and immediately began cleaning and disinfecting the rooms.
Have you ever encountered a sewer explosion or other foul matters in a hotel bathroom like this before? Let us know in comments below. But this is one time we are hoping for ZERO comments on this story.