Would You Name Your Child After a Hotel?
November 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM
It was an agonizing decision but we decided not to name our daughter after this Westin Heavenly Bed.
Parents-to-be find inspiration for their children's names in all sorts of places such as beloved characters from books and movies, political or historical figures, revered family members, favorite cities and in some cases, the internet like Tori Spelling just did. (They googled old-fashioned girl names and came up with Hattie. Hopefully no one is naming their child "Twitter" or "Occupy" anytime soon.)
But according to director Ron Howard, there's another inspiration for children's names--HOTELS.
Page Six learned that Howard gave his two twin daughters the middle name, Carlyle as in The Carlyle Hotel on the Upper East Side because that's where they were conceived. (Their older sister Bryce was given the middle name Dallas because that's where, well, you know.)
We actually like the name Carlyle not just because it's one of our favorite hotels but because the name is quite feminine and works well as a middle name for a girl. But some hotels definitely do not lend themselves to good baby names.
Now, we're not trying to tell you what you should and should not name your child but if you want to use a hotel name try avoiding these:
Aloft: This might give people incentive to toss your child aloft. Not good.
· Standard: Because your child is not standard! He/She is special, the most special thing ever!
· Public: Your child should not be Public property.
· Holiday Inn: Maybe the first word as a middle name, definitely not the second.
· Virgin: For obvious reasons. But if you're really set on this, try Virginia instead?
· Sandals Resorts: You might as well just name him or her, "Honeymoon Baby."
· Sheraton: This is just pretty much announcing to the world, you conceived your child in a Sheraton Hotel. Ditto for Westin, W, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, Hilton, Hyatt and InterContinental.
Got your own suggestions for hotels that do or do not work as baby names? Name your spawn in comments below!