What To Expect From Imperial No. 9 At Mondrian Soho
Now that we have a firm opening date and preview rates for the Mondrian Soho, let's move on to other pressing matters: food. More specifically, what can we expect from the hotel's restaurant, Imperial No. 9, which will open on March 1?
We've heard a lot about this restaurant over the past 12 months and are now kicking ourselves for not getting down to Miami during Art Basel, because that's where a group of fabulous types got to preview Imperial No. 9, at a special dinner hosted by chef Sam Talbot, Poppy de Villeneuve and Art + Culture Editions.
The intimate gathering took place poolside at the Mondrian South Beach on December 4 and featured a sneak peek at the tastiness that awaits us in Soho.
Case in point... Talbot himself!
OK, seriously now, the preview menu included:
· fried oysters with chow chow and crispy ham
· spicy cucumber kim chee with Napa cabbage
· seared toro and braised pork belly on stecca with dashi broth
· lemon king crab a la plancha with sweet and sour butter and crispy garlic chips
· four hour octopus with chilies, soy and lime
· confit of beets with lemon, thyme and fresh ginger
· scrambled corn with a poached egg, comte, coffee and maple jus
· crispy lamb belly and braised lamb rillette with ratatouille and crispy toast.
We don't know about you, but our stomachs are grumbling. Time for lunch!
See you on March 1st, Sam!
[Photos: Billy Farrell Agency/Courtesy Morgans Hotels ]