SHERATON AND WESTIN'S NEW DESIGNS
· Sheraton will have two design schemes--Revival and Heritage. The former will be a return to Regency style ("think old Jean Harlow films and multifunctional furniture") while the latter will be a darker room with a flowing herringbone motif.
· Sheratons' Revival scheme will also feature plenty outlets near the nightstand. Hallelujah!
· Westin's Classic rooms will be tweaked to include LED adjustable headlights by the beds, TVs that swivel on a console across from the beds or seating areas, upgraded closets with special slots and cubbies, stylish new artwork and the thing we're most excited for--accent tables with flip-out panels. So you can eat room service from bed by flipping out a panel in the nightstand. Our prayers have been answered!
· The redesign rooms are currently going into Sheraton and Westin hotels undergoing renovations. Any new builds will also get these new designs. But it looks like The Westin Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego will be the first hotel with these designs come early 2011. (Which hotels get which design will be up to the individual owners.)
· Starwood's designer of these rooms is Erin Hoover, VP of global brand design for Sheraton and Westin, who worked nine years for Giorgio Armani before delving into the hotel biz. So you know she's got some design class. And apparently, she designed a chair especially to please Hoyt Harper, senior VP of global brand management for Sheraton.
Can we just say how massively excited we are for the Sheraton redesign? Westin has always had rather decent and pleasant rooms (there are a few properties that fall short) but Sheraton has long-needed this upgrade. Could it be that one day in the near future we will be talking about Sheraton without mentioning the word fugly? It's a miracle!
We just hope they upgrade those telephones while they are at it. Oh and Sheraton? Feel free to peruse our list of 10 Annoying Hotel Room Designs.
What do you think of Sheraton's new look--pretty or pretty much the same? Dish it out in comments below!