- Location, location, location. Tucked away in a quiet corner off Portland Square, but a two minute walk will get you to Oxford Circus. Also, it’s opposite the BBC so celeb glimpses are possible.
- Attention to detail. When we took a tour of the newly refurbished rooms last year, what struck us most was the recessed doors (for soundproofing) and the drawers in the bedside tables that bounced back before they closed, rather than slamming shut.
- Opulence. If you can afford it, that is – the Langham contains not one, but two presidential suites. The Infinity Suite is the largest in London (we once met Ewan McGregor there and can confirm there would have been plenty of places to soil him) and the Regent Suite has three rooms, high ceilings and bay windows looking over at Portland Place and, beyond that, Regent’s Park.
- Squeaky clean. Scared of ending up in a skanky old bedroom? There’s little chance of this here. Less than a year after an £80m refurbishment, in April the hotel announced it was sending 25 of its suites under the knife.
- Iconic. We’ve just always wanted to say “To the Langham” to a taxi driver. And one day we shall make this happen. Even if it’s just for tea.
Why Did the Langham Win London's Best Large Hotel? This is Why
We were idly minding our online business the other day when a photo popped into our inbox. It didn’t have a press release with it – it didn’t really need one. It just had a caption. The picture was of two grinning people holding an award and the caption read “The Langham, London scoops top award at BT Visit London awards for Best Large Hotel in London”.
But it got us to thinking: what’s so great about the Langham? Let us count the ways: