· Fantasy Springs Resort & Casino: This little slice of kicking-back heaven is right around the corner from Coachella; four miles away in Indio, CA. We're mainly drawn to it for its casino and the option to hitchhike your way to the festival (another way to get into a van like above). In order to snag one of their rooms, which start at $89, we recommend giving them a call at 1-800-827-2946 as their online reservations seem to be buggy.
· Mojave Resort: A little further out at 12 miles away, the Mojave Resort in Palm Desert ranks among our top choices for the simple fact that their rooms feature private patios. Hello, al fresco boozing! Nurse your hangover with their continental breakfast, a dip in the pool and some more patio drinking before heading back to the festival. Rates are high during Coachella, around $209, but some rooms include a kitchenette or fireplace.
· Lawrence Welk's Desert Oasis: Twenty miles away from Coachella in Cathedral City sits old-timey entertainer Lawrence Welk's dream: his Desert Oasis resort. We think it'd be pretty funny to tell people that you're staying at Lawrence Welk's, but this property has the added bonus of rooms with complete kitchen facilities and a small living room. Bring the party back to Welk's place, we always say! Rates start at $169 for a one-bedroom villa.
· Caliente Tropics: Moving into Palm Springs proper, 25 miles away from the action, our old favorite Caliente Tropics will swathe you in tiki kitsch for a mere starting rate of $105 a night. Having a large pool and being near the center of a town mean that your Coachella vacation doesn't have to be completely back to nature.
· Ace Hotel Palm Springs: Since you can't yet enjoy the New York property, then get in on the soft opening of the Ace Palm Springs. Rates for this hip new piece of real estate run high for Coachella, at $310 a night, and the bad news is that you must book Thursday, April 16 to Sunday, April 19. This hotel requires a commitment to Coachella apparently, although you will reap the benefits of staying in a fresh, homey hotel with a happening pool.