Where Are the Hotel Inauguration Parties At?
It's time, people: the frenzy of parties, celebrations and drink specials surrounding Barack Obama's inauguration have kicked off, and D.C. though a bit congested at the moment has turned into patriotic party central over the weekend.
Naturally, hotels in the area are doing more than just playing host to the hundreds of thousands of psyched Americans overnight: they are, of course, hosting some of the most anticipated official and unofficial soirees too. According to the AP's uber-helpful comprehensive schedule of events going down for inaugurapalooza, here's what's happened and what's planned at which hotels and where.
· On Saturday, the People's Inaugural Gala Celebration went down all day long at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. Festivities kicked off with a breakfast and continued with a Women's Leadership Luncheon (Gloria Steinem was there!) Sunday, attendees took in a gospel concert and a jazz concert, and the gala's grand finale will be the black-tie People's Inaugural Ball on Tuesday evening.
· And yesterday at the Ritz-Carlton, the California State Society held the Presidential Inaugural Luncheon & Fashion Show.
· Tonight at the Gaylord is the Texas State Society's famed Black Tie and Boots Ball which, according to the online invitation, looks like it honors the Texas-born outgoing president a 'lil more than the incoming one. But: black tie and boots! And country music, too!
And Tuesday's the big one for unofficial inaugural balls at hotels. What's going down:
· Congressional Black Caucus Inaugural Ball at the Capitol Hilton.
· BET's Inaugural Ball at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
· Africa on the Potomac inaugural celebration at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va.
· American Music Inaugural Ball at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
· Inaugural Purple Ball at the Fairmont Hotel.
· Human Rights Campaign's Equality Ball at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.
And don't forget about the Willard Intercontinental's inauguration parade brunch 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Not that you asked, but hey, if we could pick one: we'd hit the party with Luda. While we're at our desks fantasizing, you can bounce on over to our brother site Jaunted for full inauguration coverage and travel tips to help you navigate our nation's capitol this week.