· The iron and ironing board. Steaming in the shower works just fine for us -- but business travelers may feel free to disagree.
· HDTV's that lack the HD component. We hate skinny people who look fat on our TV's (or reality TV stars whose faces look deceivingly attractive because of the low-res images).
· $10 bottles of water. We'll use the tap, thanks (unless we're in Mexico).
· Yellow Pages! The ones in the bedside drawers are rarely up to date -- and really, when's the last time you consulted the Yellow Pages?
· Heat lamps. You know those red lamps in the bathrooms sometimes that are supposed to make it more comfortable for you to step out of the shower? We've never used them. The red light makes us think of TLC and also of the seediest part of Amsterdam.
· Bolster and Throw Pillows. They gross us out because we know that even in the nice hotels, they don't get washed.
· Corded Telephones. In a world where everyone except Nana and Gramps is a whiz at cellphones, why should in-room telephones have cords at all? It's all cordless now, people.
Disagree with any (or all) of these? Got more useless hotel amenities to add? Similarly, add what hotel amenity you cannot stay without (ours would be plastic laundry bags in the closet--don't ask.) That's why it's an OpenThread, friends. Sound off in the comments.
[HotelChatter OpenThreads are a place for readers to get in here and talk about hot stories and issues of the day in an open forum. If you are already a HotelChatter member log in to comment, if not become a member for free and comment away.]
HotelChatter Senior Editor Juliana Shallcross also contributed to this OpenThread.