Let's start off with W Hotels. Several W hotels have been delayed not one, not two but three or more times. One was even cancelled. Here's how W shakes out.
· W Hoboken: Originally due to open in 2006, earlier this year the date was pretty firmed up to be October 31, 2008. Then it was moved to December 2008. Now Feb 26, 2009 is the new date.
· W Fort Lauderdale: Originally due to open in 2007 (after delayed three times already), the opening date was set to be October 1st. But now Starwood is saying Jan 4, 2009.
· W South Beach: Originally this long-awaited hotel was due to open the end of 2007. As of November 2007, there still was no building there. Finally, topping off occurred in July and the opening is now scheduled for March 1, 2009.
· W Philadelphia: Originally scheduled to open in 2009 but has been cancelled.
So that sounds pretty bleak. But if you want some good news, we've got that too. (Sorta)
· Aloft Mount Laurel: The groundbreaking occurred last month for a late 2009 opening.
· W Boston: Looks like it's on schedule for August 31, 2009. Although a year away is PLENTY of time for delays.
· Westin Jersey City: Originally scheduled for mid-2008, the opening date has now moved Feb 3, 2009.
· Four Points Philadelphia City Center: Originally scheduled to open...well, uh...today. Buutt we just called Four Points Reservations, and even they have no idea when it will open. Might want to update that website Starwood!
What have we learned here? First, never EVER trust a hotel opening date. Second, the economy is bad, but it's not stopping hotels from opening.. yet!