Kicking Off the Interview
Some redheaded lady named Liz kicks it off with the announcement of Marriott's partnership with Ian Schrager to create a fancy schmancy boutique brand.
· Liz directs first question to Bill Marriott, saying that the two hotel brands are so different and how will this partnership work?
· Bill replies saying the hotels will be created by Ian and his team and that Marriott Hotels will manage them and both will develop them together with third party developers.
We think Bill looks too tan for a 75-year-old. He's the shade of Lindsay Lohan! Also where is he calling from? It looks like nighttime there. China?
· Reporter Liz directs next question to Ian Schrager telling him that Gramercy Park Hotel is a chic, high-end hotel and that Marriott Hotels are the complete opposite. She was being nice but if Bill Marriott wasn't there, we wonder what she would really say about Marriotts.
· Schrager starts talking about how he and Marriott share the same DNA. Is Schrager a Mormon too? Oh he's talking about the hotels. He says both he and Bill have incredible curiosity about things, along with passion and intense competitive spirit.
He starts talking about something else but we are blinded by his white teeth. They are extremely white. Did he whiten them for this appearance? Also, he is tan too. Maybe he told Bill about Sunset Tan?
Expect these hotels to be everywhere
· Liz asks Schrager where we can expect to find these new hotels.
· Schrager says he would be disappointed if they only opened 100 hotels. He says he would like to be in every corner of the Western World but that the usual suspects (i.e. top cities) will open first. Again, he has white teeth. He also has a funny gravelly voice and a New York accent.
The future of Gramercy Park Hotel?
· Liz goes back to Bill and asks how these hotels will be different from Marriott hotels.
· Bill responds saying they will look different. Then he says every hotel in this boutique brand will be different from the other. He says he is calling from Gramercy Park Hotel which explains the nighttime darkness look.
He says this hotel is a suitable location and type of hotel for the brand. Uh-oh will GPH get pulled into the Marriott fold?
Best Friends 'Til the End
· Oh! They are calling CNBC together. Oooh, side by side. Yes, they definitely hit up a tanning salon this morning together.
· Reporter and hoteliers discuss economic conditions of hotel industry for a minute. Schrager brags about how he does well even when the economy is in the shitter. Liz concludes by asking the hoteliers to keep her posted on a name for the boutique brand. Jokes with her co-anchor they should name the brand after her.
· Bill Marriott and Ian Schrager to do Boutique Business Together [HotelChatter]