· Also in Thompson Hotels opening news, Curbed and Down by the Hipster are rightfully doubting the December opening of the Wall Street property, Gild Hall. But the folks at Thompson Hotels say the hotel will soft-open on December 1st with only a third of the rooms open. The rest of the hotel including a restaurant (which is to be announced shortly) will fully open in mid-March 2008.
We have reason to believe that Thompson Hotels is adhering to schedule more these days than in the past but you know Six Columbus is still a big blemish on openings file.
· As we mentioned last week, the Custom Hotel near the Los Angeles airport is soft-opening today and Travelzoo is offering rooms for as cheap as $99 a night.
· In Atlanta, The Ellis Hotel opens today. Formerly known as the Winecoff Hotel, the Ellis has reopened after extensive renovations which totaled around $27 million. The hotel was the site of a deadly 1946 fire that killed a 100 people but its new owners are trying to distance the place from its sad past.
Designed with a contemporary flair— the walls and floors are deep brown and the furniture retro — the Ellis features 127 rooms with Ostrich leather headboards set against bamboo ascent walls, flat screen LCD TVs, radios with iPod docks and wireless Internet.... And for security-minded women travelers, one floor has been set aside for them exclusively.
And the hotel's general manager assures the entire hotel's fire system is up to code.
· Gild Hall Soft Opening Set for December 1 [HotelChatter]
· What's next for Thompson Hotels? Apparently, A Lot [HotelChatter]
· Hotel Opening Rates:: The Custom Hotel in LA for $99 a Night [HotelChatter]