HotelChatter Questions / Downtown Manhattan Hotel Reviews / Downtown-New-York-City-Hotel-Scene-Map / New York Hotel Tips / → All Tags
Furniture Designer Seeks Hip, Inexpensive NYC Hotel
A reader recently emailed us with this question: I will be coming into NYC in May for ICFF (International Contemporary Furniture Fair) and I would like to stay in a hip hotel that isn't overpriced.
I will be coming into NYC in May for ICFF (International Contemporary Furniture Fair) and I would like to stay in a hip hotel that isn't overpriced.
Well, that isn't an easy feat. You see, hip in Manhattan-speak translates roughly to $400-$450 a night. But if you were wondering where we would tell our friends to stay, here's what we suggest.
· W Union Square: The place has a great restaurant, Olive's and a hip nightlife with Underbar. It's also in the heart of Union Square which is less touristy than say, Times Square. But our main reason for suggesting this hotel is that the rooms are fairly large here. So that $400 rate you fork over will go for some extra breathing room.
· THOR: It's in the hot Lower East Side neighborhood and it oozes hip with decor that will certainly impress a contemporary furniture designer. But since the fair is taking place at the Javits center on the West Side, this might be too much of a trek.
· Speaking of West Side, there are plenty of options in the Meat-Packing District. While abhorred by natives, this is a good area for tourists who want to be in the middle of the downtown action. There's the Gansevoort which will dazzle you with its rooftop views (although the Euro-trash may make you sick). A little farther north is the probably more affordable Maritime Hotel. The trade-off there is the Murphy beds.
· 60 Thompson: While the rooms here are cramped, the hotel has a killer location in Soho and hip nightlife.
· Incentra Village House: a cheap alternative to the Gansevoort at $175 a night for a double. But you will forgo all hipness and coolness here.
So say we, but what say you all?
Help our furniture designer friend choose NY Downtown with your carnal hotel knowledge.
· Downtown NYC Hotel Scene Map [HotelChatter]